CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
malachite

Migraine and fear

I currently have a migraine, and have for a couple of days. I am in a lot of pain and nauseous and dizzy and am smelling odd things. The symptom that really has me confused is a sense of impending doom. Could it be that my anxiety is just high b/c I am in pain and that is why I have this feeling? Or is it a symptom of the migraine itself?

Thanks.

I can't believe I stumbled on this post, Mal, because I got on here literally to see if I could find some little tricksies to help me with my own migraine. I've had a migraine since Friday morning. My dizziness could probably best be described as vertigo since turning my head, or moving too quickly, even something like taking a deep breath can cause the dizziness. I think they describe my kind of migraines as "cluster headaches" because over a period of several days the actual pain can recede and return or lessen and worsen but the other symptoms don't. But I could be wrong. All I know is I've had these fuckers since I was 14 and I suffered through them for 20 years before a neurologist told me I had migraines. I never even knew I was allowed to admit I was suffering. The neurologist prescribed Maxalt but that just increased the frequency of the migraines, I think because I didn't do all the little things I normally did to help with my migraines.

My anxiety level is high as well as my irritability level. Despite the fact that yelling makes my head worse (I am going into day 4 of my migraine or cluster migraine or whatever the fuck) I found myself yelling at my son and husband yesterday as though I was having one of those shitty dysphoric manias I have. (And I am not manic; I am very stable, thank Drugs and maybe God if he exists).

So to answer your question (instead of just bitching about my own migraine) yes, I believe the feeling of impending doom is probably a part of the migraine. I had the same feeling this past weekend. I drove out of town for a wedding and the whole time, I just knew--KNEW--that I was going to crash on I-10 going 80 miles an hour with my 4 1/2 year old daughter in the backseat. The good news is driving with a sense of impending doom makes one an incredibly careful and observant driver. The drive, however, turned my vertigo into something out of this world. That only ADDED to the sense that I was going to crash and kill us both.

Don't know if this helps but it felt good to bitch about my own migraine.

Hey Teddy,

I'm sorry you are having a migraine too. I think for me, it was a shift in the barometric pressure that brought it on. Everything is pounding right now, even the muscles in my face. Oh, now I am just whining, lol. Thanks for responding. I haven't had any luck with maxalt or imitrex. I usually have to get painkillers and something for nausea. I hope you feel better soon.

I currently have a migraine, and have for a couple of days. I am in a lot of pain and nauseous and dizzy and am smelling odd things. The symptom that really has me confused is a sense of impending doom. Could it be that my anxiety is just high b/c I am in pain and that is why I have this feeling? Or is it a symptom of the migraine itself?

Thanks.

I think it is a little of both.  If I had a migraine for a long time, I'd get anxious about when it will go away.  I get migraines, but so far (knock on wood) not more than 2 days or so.  I can handle that because it comes and goes and I have a little calmness here and there.  But getting one really stresses me out and gets me really anxious as to when it will go away.

I'm seriously considering going to Urgent Care, if for no other reason than to get some painkillers. This may sound stupid but the only reasons I haven't gone yet are: 1) I don't want to sound whiny or for the doctors in urgent care or ER to look at my history and say, "Oh, mental illness. She must be drug-seeking." I know it's crazy, considering I've never been addicted to anything in my life (unless you count coffee) but I'm always afraid that docs make a connection between MI and drug-seeking behavior; and 2) I don't want to freak my husband out. He's already freaked out because I've had a "headache" for a month. I say "headache" because anything that isn't a migraine is, to me, hardly worth mentioning but I did mention it because, yes, it was happening every day. But now, I've had two migraines in two weeks and they both had this terrible vertigo with them and now this one has lasted more than 3 days which has never happened, to my recollection. It's always been 3 days tops. I wake up one day with the migraine and I wake up on the 4th day without a migraine but exhausted and sometimes mildly depressed, like I've just lived through a minor trauma or a long illness.

I'm trying to get laundry done and tomorrow a maid is coming by for three hours--a gift from a friend--and I'm supposed to go to a playdate with my kids as well and husband and I had plans for cleaning out the garage and closets this week and I just want to be well. 

I ended up going to urgent care yesterday evening. Got some painkillers and something for the nausea. Today the nausea is better, but the headache is still there. I hope your migraine has subsided, Teddy.

When one of my migraines lasts for more than a couple of days despite all my meds, it snowballs in intensity and won't stop unless I go to urgent care and get something for pain to break the headache. I usually end up getting something in the morphine family and almost always have a rebound headache for at least 1-2 days afterward.

malachite ~  A sudden feeling of pending doom, sudden fear or other such huge emotion is a definite migraine aura for me.  It comes out of the blue.  One minute I am feeling okay and then I have this huge emotion.  My migraine aura list is very long and odd.  My migraines are atypical, which makes it hard for my neurologist to deal with. 

De