CrazyBoards.org

I was curious how many people have been separated from parents or someone else in your early childhood? I think it caused my BPD. It would explain a lot. I started seeing a counselor at age 10 at the recommendation of my teacher. This counselor said if I am ever diagnosed with problems my separation from my birth parents and previous neglect are most likely the cause. I am just curious if anyone else has been separated. I read it is a common history for those with BPD. In my signature is my story... revised.... very much revised. My full story is long but for anyone actually willing to read it look below. You don't have to though. What about you? Were you separated as a child? What's your story? If you don't want to go too deep I understand and you can just answer with  yes or no or something. 

P.S. Before you read my story you should know I still talk with my birth parents through text and see my birth dad once a year-though not last year-which is always very awkward.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cause of my borderline personality disorder I think is my first year of life-in this life anyways. A lot of people with it were separated at a young age from their caregivers. I was separated from my birth parents. 

My dad lost custody of me to my mom. My mom's mom (my grandma) and her grandma (My great grandma) were working together to take custody of away from her saying she was emotionally unstable (Which she was and is-like VERY unstable) and about how I suffered from neglect (Which I did). 

My mom poured my food on the floor (No bowl or anything), never got me clothes, never bathed me-only got bathed when my aunt (Dad's sister) came over to babysit (Whom is also a witness to my neglect)-so I was constantly filthy, and didn't get me diapers-though my grandmother always did.

And about her being emotionally unstable she would have emotional meltdowns, did drugs, dated most screwed up men (One who sexually abused my little sister-and got sent to prison), is an EXTREME liar, and when she was a kid she went to school one day-middle school-with her baby picture and claimed it was her baby. Yea she has a lot of problems.

So in the end of the whole court thing she just decided to sign the papers and give me up. I was separated from her and placed in a new home-with my great aunt (dad's side) and great uncle (No blood relation) who were physically unable to have kids of their own. 

I LOVE my birth mother very much-but she's insane. And I LOVE my birth dad, adoptive dad, and adoptive mother very much as well.

So there you have it. My first year of life and the most likely cause of my borderline personality disorder. While my current home may not have been the most stable. It was more stable then that and I've had a great life with them. :)

Edited by Screwed_Up

Yes, I was separated from my father at the age of nine.  I was abused after that, so I don't think that's the whole picture, but it definitely contributed to my developing BPD.  I think it makes sense that early attachment trauma is related to BPD.

I was separated from my birth mother and two months...because she went psycho and tried to kill me and my siblings. 

I had my dad, but he moved out when I was ten. 

I have separation anxiety like a bitch.

I'm almost for certain that childhood trauma helped contributed to my BPD.

I was taken from my birth mother when i was 5 without explanation. I can safely say it was one of the most traumatic and heartbreaking times of my life. Shes dead now. I was "given" to my abusive father untill he ditched me aged 7. Im 25 years old and i still miss my mum. Though i now understand the reasons why she couldnt keep me. I was offered no explanation as a child. It still breaks my heart.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Poem
      Hello everyone,
      So it has been a while since I have posted on the forum, but I wanted to hear from others on this topic. What does identity instability look like for people with borderline personality disorder? I want to get feedback from people who actually deal with this problem. The reason is that I believe I deal with this problem (feeling like I don't know who I am, confusion about gender/sexuality, not knowing what I truly believe in, feeling like I lose myself in others, changing goals/career ideas, etc.) This is a longstanding issue.
      I was diagnosed with Bipolar 1 disorder initially, and this was changed to Schizoaffective disorder: bipolar type. My original psychiatrist denied the possibility of BPD, but I feel like that is a more accurate dx than the other two. (In all honesty, I heard from other medical staff later on that this PDoc basically dx'd everyone as bipolar!) Also, I was diagnosed only after a reaction to a medication (which was possible due to the newly published DSM V),  and I feel that the majority of "psychotic" symptoms that I experienced (that led to the dx change) were caused by the many other med cocktails I was given over the years. I'm very sensitive to medications, and have tried many to no success.
      I've read about real life experiences from people with all these disorders, and none of them have spoken so truly to me as borderline has. I started crying the other day because it made so much damn sense. I am not looking for a diagnoses from anyone. I just want to hear from others...I am going through a very bad stretch, and I just want to feel like I am not alone.
      I want to avoid posts indicating that everyone goes through identity crisis. I know that. But this is something that has been with me for a looong time. So, to anyone who is willing to share a bit of their story with me: Thank you in advance. I really need to know I am not alone in this right now.
      Poem

• By Blahblah
      This seems most indicative of BPD, but pdocs tell me I don't meet major criteria for it. I have no previous symptoms of: SI, suicide attempts, impulsive behavior, no addictions or eating disorders, no delusions, black/wt thinking, no manias) I have held longer-term (2-5 year) romantic relationships.
      Pdocs have thrown every med at me for 2 decades. Nothing is really making a lot of improvement. I have no adequate diagnosis, because I don't (completely) meet the formal criteria for any one disorder, but traits from many. I've been previous diagnosed with: Major Depression with dysthymia (with/without psychotic features) BP2, PTSD, GAD, BPD, ADD) I surely can't have all these disorders?!

Rapid-cycling emotions (erratic moods can shift every 1-3 hours, not usually just up & down)
      Chronic (moderate) depression, frequent dysphoria, some anxious distress
      Hypersensitivity to many things (including rejection)
      Chronic Emptiness
      Anhedonia (lack of motivation, pleasure in anything, not even sex)
      Perfectionism (includes obsessiveness)
      Paranoia (but not delusional, with insight)
      Hypersomnia, chronic fatigue
      Distractible
      Poor memory
      Very low stress tolerance (has triggered dissociation)

• By Angerr
      Had a tiny fight with my psychiatrist, he seems to be dobuting my diagnosis. In the hospital they tried to say i was bpd with bipolar, but my psychologist says i cant be bpd and even my psychiatrist used to think im not. I dont have any bpd traits other than emotional inestability. Anyways im mad bc people dobut my psychotic symptoms he thinks is just something from my imagination or something "typical" from me. Im mad bc the new medication is not working and now i have panic attacks i didnt had before. The  hospital kinda helped kinda made things worse. I feel like my doctor has left me behind, he doesnt care anymore, if he had answered or seen me  15days before when i asked, before i had my big crisis i wouldnt had ended in hospital. Im scheduling an appointment with a new doctor. But i feel so lost, so sad, like no one can help me, not even doctors. Its not fair. This illness is destroying my life. Has anyone ever had this kind of problems with doctors? Have you had a moment where medication made things worse? 
    • By Dewey
      I woke up this morning, feeling panic overwhelming me over a negative response from my neighbor.  The emotion I am experiencing is deep distress and I can feel it internally crushing me.  I am not coping at all well with this. 
      I find myself drawn to her because we share a common trauma background.  Sometimes she comes to my apartment just to talk about all this and I feel soo connected to her.  I am beginning to come to the conclusion that she has some borderline traits in her - it's the push away and suddenly pull back. She acts like she hates me and suddenly she loves me and tells me so.  When she pushes away, it's an awful experience and leaves me an emotional wreck.  Then she will come back and saturate me with her needs to talk about soo many things where I live, her emotional instability issues, etc.  I sit and listen and we talk and I feel better after she leaves and we are finally getting along, only to be assaulted again verbally from her and weeks go by and she ignores me. 
      Another odd thing about her.  With this intimate friendship I have with her (Intimate meaning sharing of like experiences),  she will call on my cell or text me but when she is out and about with her friends (she only goes out in public with her friends), she ignores me and so do they. 
      So, this morning I am experiencing her pushing me away violently last night. 
      I am drawn to this behavior from her, as it feeds into my cycle of abuse history.  I used to go back to my mother just to be abused.  I would call her and she would act delighted to hear from me and tell me how much she loves me, only moments later to go for the jugular.  I would walk away from that telephone conversation feeling completely ruined.  This is what is occurring with my neighbor, I am in the dance of abuse with her and I don't know how to get out of it.  Even just recognizing what is really going on, I can't seem to extricate myself from her.
      I block her telephone calls and texting one minute and then open it back up.  Last night I shut off my phone so that I would not be tempted to read any lingering texts from her and react to it.  This morning when I turned on my phone, she did not respond to my last text to her and I was disappointed and fearful what she must be saying behind my back to her 4 close friends. 
      I live in fear of her and in fear of myself when she abuses me.  It takes alot of work to pick myself back up each time. 
    • By The one lurking behind you
      Hey there!
      Long time no post and I wanted to pop in and get chatting about something that's recently cropped up for me and got me thinking about things. So I'll cut to the chase. I've recently been enrolled in some group therapy after a few years of no meds/therapy/contact with mental health services. After the group I had a chat with the therapist running it and explained about the intense mood changes I'd been having etc. Anyway, she put me in touch with someone who gave me a phone assessment and the questions asked seemed to be the checklist for Borderline. She then said, "ah yes it sounds like Emotional Intensity". This is something I've never heard before in this context. I've heard of emotions being intense or emotional intensity as a symptom but she seemed to use it as a diagnostic term. 
      I did some googling and discovered that Boderline is starting to be "rebranded" as EmOtional Intensity (here's one of the articles I found http://www.awp.nhs.uk/news-publications/trust-news/2016/march/raising-awareness-of-emotional-intensity-disorder/ )
      I wondered, have you ever heard of this Emotional Intensity term being used and what are your thoughts on it?
      -TOLBY