CrazyBoards.org

Any Desktop PC Builder Types About?

Kinda in need of some advice on something, and although this may not be a PC forum, kind of hoping someone who's fluent in crazy might be able to throw me a bone here and offer me some sort of input to help my poor overstressed brain a bit.

Here's the story made as short as I can:  My desktop has been built and rebuilt more times than I can count.  All of the failure points had been replaced until the last one possible just gave out, that being my video card.  And of course, the motherboard I got has NO onboard card to fall back on, which means that I have one hell of a large toaster and desk weight on my hands until I can fix it, and I use that one for my lecture videos and the programs and crap we have to run, so it's kind of important.

The problem is:  I haven't had to buy a video card since I bought the one that's in there.  (Which was in there before this new motherboard...so LONG time.)   I don't know what the standards are now, whether NVidia or ATI sucks more now, and so on.  I'm hoping someone is a BIT more with the times than I am on this stuff, because even googling it has done nothing but make me even more confused.   It looks like a bigger jumble of alphabet soup than the list of my various disorders!

I guess the question here is if anyone out there knows about this kind of crap and doesn't mind offering up some kind of advice.  I'll gladly toss up a list of the relevant specs and what I need if someone's up to the task, but I won't explode brains with the longass list of it unless someone feels like trying to help a flaky geek like me figure this shiat out!

Failing that, anyone know a half-decent site to get credible info on this kind of crap?  LOL

I double-checked and my board has a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot (Thankfully it's not old enough to use AGP!)   Good to know about the drivers - I'm running Win8, so I'm expecting them to be a little annoying to begin with, but if nvidia's likely to be less of a headache, that's a mark in their favor.   I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to find something that's at least half-decent and not going to break the bank, but they're all so deceptive with the mail-in rebate crap and then I have to figure out who charges tax and how brutal shipping is and whether it's better to just suck it up and go on an expedition to Microcenter or TigerDirect's stores...it gives me a migraine to think about all of it.   (I've also run across a few cards that don't even have VGA ports anymore, which means I have to be less of a derp than I normally am and try NOT to buy one of those!  >_<)

It really seems like they went out of their way to confuse people - between the rebates, dozens of versions of basically the same card, and all of their specs that don't seem to even be capable of being compared, they're doing a good job!  It makes me want to start gnawing on my keyboard!

(I've also run across a few cards that don't even have VGA ports anymore, which means I have to be less of a derp than I normally am and try NOT to buy one of those!  >_<)

You can always use a DVI-VGA adaptor - they do exist, they generally cost a few dollars though.

Yeah, I thought about that too.  Admittedly, I'd be lying if I hadn't debated picking up one of the el cheapo refurb flatscreen monitors while I'm at just to get some of the space on the desk back.  If I'm going to wind up eating boxed mac and cheese and ramen noodles for the card, I might as well bite the bullet and do both so that I'm not screaming in 2 months when this monitor decides to implode?  (I know, epic logic fail right here, but my brain runs funny when I'm stressed and depressed!)

Finding a video card that can run videos is really not a problem.  Gaming would be a problem.  Do you ever game on this PC, and if so, what have you played recently?

And yeah, I can probably help with a spec list, but I'm not amaaaaazing with it.  I wish I knew where to direct you for better help, but mostly I just build my own computers with the most expensive options I'm able to buy at the time.

Gosh, VE, that's awesome of you to offer that to me!   I actually wound up having to go out and buy one today because in my infinite wisdom I actually looked at a calendar for once and realized that one of the assignments that needed the desktop for is due tomorrow.  I just picked up a fairly inexpensive GeForce and it's obviously not going to be the best or even useful for gaming, but it's the "It works for now" card and it gives me time to do some better research and deal hunting to find the one I'll want to use long-term.  (I'll probably just pass this one I just bought on to my other half's mom when I do find the right card for me.  It's not like I'll get attached to this one like I would a phone or something like that.)

I'll definitely give the GeForce credit on the drivers being easy to deal with - plugged that card in, booted it up and Windows found it without a problem.  (Getting the computer off of the desk and unplugging all of the crap to get the card IN was a pain, but that's par for the course.)  

I'll definitely have to do my homework on cards to find out what to keep an eye for on sale or clearance - what I need will probably be outdated and a closeout by the time I figure it out!   Gaming-wise, it's mostly fluffier stuff like MMOs from 2010-2011ish, but then I wind up getting talked into things like Planetside 2 and Wizardry Online.   I'm obviously not going to be hunting for the highest-powered card on the market, but I tend to like to see what the most bang I can get for my buck is.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You can get a HD7770 ghz edition, dx11 card, for around $100 on amazon. That card will do you good for years, even if you game.

trust me these cards are feckin LUSH!!!! i has one. also has the motherboard been replaced? if not please google "cmos reset". its a litle plastic thing that connects 2 out of 3 pins on a mobo. short that thing out and try your luck with the power switch.