CrazyBoards.org

klonopin long term

I have been taking benzo's for many years now.. At one time I got seriously hooked on xanax and had to check into a rehab to get off them... A time I surely want to forget...

My question to the community is this: Since my Xanax incident I have been afraid of long term use of Benzo's... Has anyone taken Klonopin for say longer than two years or is there a time frame of treatment???  I have been using it for over five years but off and on.. I was switching up to drugs like ativan. I am finally getting to a point of stability from all the mood stablizers and SSRI's. Klonopin  is for really bad days and sleep.. I take only one a day but occasionally have needed two.. 1mg dosage I know this dont sound like much but it seems like when I dont take it, my body craves it.... Of course it all could just be brain noise or why else would I be here..lol

Any comments would be appreciate!

I've been taking Klonopin every day for over ten years to prevent panic attacks and smooth out the jagged edges of Bipolar. The dose has been as high as 5 mgs; my current dose is 1 mg. I doubt if I've spent more than two minutes worrying about being addicted. The incessant gibberish about "A worldwide epidemic of benzo abuse!" fades to white noise after a while. It's so nice to be able to go out in public or sleep for six consecutive hours.   

Do this: compare and contrast the potentially lethal hellscapes of panic disorder and Bipolar-induced insomnia with the necessity of taking a few little pills every day.

Yeah, that's a tough call. 

My hunch: benzos get a bad rap because a lot of people take them who shouldn't. Only a seriously crazy person would take a benzo every day for years (because only a seriously crazy person needs a benzo that long).  ;)

In my own case, episodes of anxiety are like mania or depression: if I cut the meds too much...it's baaaaack. Klonopin is best compared to a silver bullet. I'll be taking it when I'm 90.   

Klonopin is a horrible, dangerous drug...Doctors who prescribe these pills are mushing out people's real moods. I discovered that I like me with all my moods.
Stevie Nicks

As much as I'm inclined to defer to Ms. Nicks in medical matters--and all matters; she is, after all, a pop star--I submit that she should not have been prescribed Klonopin. She has a legitimate gripe, with her crackpot doctor--not Klonopin. Just as I would have a legitimate gripe if I had been prescribed Oxycontin and developed problems with it.

I also submit that we should regard the claims of someone coming off a decade-long cocaine bender with more than a pinch of skepticism, a virtue entirely absent from the site where I found the above quote: benzo.org. Why, it's Reefer Madness in convenient website form!

The biggest drug-addiction problem in the world doesn't involve heroin, cocaine or marijuana. In fact, it doesn't involve an illegal drug at all. The world's biggest drug-addiction problem is posed by a group of drugs, the benzodiazepines, which are widely prescribed by doctors and taken by countless millions of perfectly ordinary people around the world...

...countless millions, all poised to play the piano too slowly or nod off while reading Bukowski poems. It's all part of a conspiracy financed by sinister international bankers to gain control of the minds of the youth. There could be a benzo-freak in the room with you right now!

I want to thank you all for giving me a peice of mind.... Klonopin along with my other cocktails works.. I guess that Xanax withdraw and the fear of hospitization has made me a little nervous.. But I imagine a klonopin would ease that too. lol

Thanx again for the support and info!! ;)

I have a guy in my IOP that had to go to rehab for Klonipin.  The bigwigs there say anyone with a predisposition to addiction should not take benzos.  You may not have a problem, but others may.  The addicted guy says his tolerance to pain killers like novacaine skyrocketed on benzos.  So if you think the benzo are fucking with your head or you are using them too much, then talk to doc.  It's a personal call though I think, you could debate it all night.

Klonopin works best for me if I take it once (1mg) every other day. That way I don't develop a tolerance and need to go to a higher dosage. If I've gone for a week without Klonopin and then take a 0.5mg pill I'm getting the same effect (though only for a day) as I did on the one mg.

What ticks me off, is my new psychiatrist who told me she doesn't like to prescribe "addictive medications"! Despite the fact that I've been taking it for years on-and-off and haven't become addicted. I'm upset by the medical community's distrust when you ask for a controlled substance. You've to prove to them that you're ok taking it. Now I'm scrambling to find a new psychiatrist (while starting to run very low on my KL).

If I don't take Klono I get seriously into SI. I take 2 mg a day to keep the panic at bay and soften the ragged edges. . Life is pretty horrible for me with out it. If they want to dx me with GAD so that I can stand life most days, then so be it

"I know this dont sound like much but it seems like when I dont take it, my body craves it."

I feel for you. I have been on 1mg/daily klonopin for many years and am now trying to kick the habit. It is extremely difficult. Some people on the net say it is harder than kicking heroin. If I go, say, five or six days without it I become extremely anxious, agitated. I'd value any hints from anyone on how to get off klonopin.

Archived