CrazyBoards.org

IMO, I don't think there is only one med that helps with OCD.  I think it involves a combo of 2 or more meds, and also depends on the person (everyone reacts differently to different meds).  Just my opinion though.

Yeah, I agree with this. OCD is notoriously hard to treat pharmaceutically (and otherwise) and usually involves the upper level dosages of whatever med you're on and most of the time a cocktail is prescribed. Zoloft helps my OCD significantly at 200 mgs. I'm also on Quetiapine and Wellbutrin, but I don't think those help with treating my OCD symptoms very much. If your current med is not helping you - even with dosage increases - it's probably not going to help you. Talk to your doctor about trying something else or adding another med.

I take Clomipramine for my OCD symptoms, which is I think its only indication.

I was prescribed it while living in London, it is rarely prescribed where I am in the US apparently, as its very old?

It has worked great for me though, obsessions and intrusive thoughts are decreased. Did what it was supposed to do.

• 2 months later...

I am also on Lexapro and have been for years.  

Although I was told Lex would help manage my anxiety (I have some anxiety symptoms that can be broadly compared to OCD, such as repetitive thoughts/rumination) I do not find that it helps with anything but depression.  That is just my experience.  

The comments above by other folks are very good ; I'd suggest having a good talk with your prescriber about changing or adding to the anti-depressant, which is what Lexapro primarily is. 

Hi, I have been on many meds and the one that saved my sanity was luvox  at 250mg. This year I had to raise it from 200mg to 250mg because a lot of deaths in the family was a trigger for intrusive thoughts.  I am thinking maybe adding abilify.  My sister is on it and she has energy now.  I SURE don't and neither did she before the abilify . She has to take gabapentin so she's not manic and is able to sleep at night. She also takes Seroquel to sleep like I do but wants to taper off, so do I but worried all of this won't help me. Abilify helps her depression most of the time. The luvox doesn't seem to be helping my depression. Don't know what to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I am on 15 mg of Abilify and it has virtually wiped out my OCD. I was severe too. I consider it my miracle drug.

I agree. I have been struggling with OCD for 20 years now, and Abilify is the first and only drug that has truly helped me. I have had to get off of it due to the weight gain and increased blood sugar, so I am a bit disappointed, and a way bit more OCDish! My pdoc prescribed me Luvox today, so I will see how it goes. I have been on it before probably about 10 years ago, but I am willing to try again. Anything to quiet my mind!

Almost all of the ssris are useful for treating OCD - its very individual though - what works for one may not work for others.

I find prozac pretty good for these symptoms. For some the atypical anti-psychotics work really well.

Im on prozac, reboxetine, clozapine and zeldox and the mix works well for my schizophrenia.  I still get intrusive thoughts though :(

Sorry to hear that Lexapro isn't working for you! I feel like I got very lucky on this front. When I went on Cymbalta for GAD, it cleared up all of the obsessions I'd been having, which had been getting worse and worse.