CrazyBoards.org

What kind of work works?

I've been pondering this for years. I've always leaned towards helping professions. I like them- apparently I'm good at them- but they're draining for me. I change jobs about every 3-4 years, but I always end up back in a similar line of work because that's where my skill set is.

I know I'm lucky that I can work. I want to work- I don't want to go on disability, and I don't really think I'd qualify. It's not that I want something "easy", but I want something less people-oriented. At the end of the day, I can help a lot of people and come home feeling like I need someone to help me. I'm not happy with the kind of parent I am right now, and I feel like a lot of that is because I get emotionally drained at work. I just have nothing left when I get home even though my child is more important to me than any job.

So, what else is there? Have you ever had a job that just totally didn't suck the life out of you? Did it pay the bills? Did you feel like it did anything for you? I would really, really like to never work for a grant project again. I don't want to supervise people. The happiest I've ever been was working in a library. It barely made me the money to get by, but I was content there at least.

It sounds like you answers your own question. Have you seen if the library is hiring ? 

Possibly a job helping other people but not emotionally. There are jobs delivering meals to seniors and disabled people. 

I deal with this same thing, when I am ready to work .. My chosen career is sales. That career drains me to where I have nothing left when I get home at the end of the day. The last few times I worked in sales it actually destabilized me to the point where my depression took over. When I do go back to work I will not be able to enter this line of work and that is very difficult for me to accept. I know it's for the best and I will probably end up happier at a minimum wage job - but getting over the money aspect is hard. Especially when you go from $50K + a year to 20 K .. But it is what I will have to do for my health. 

:D Believe me- I'm always looking for the library thing. It was sort of a fluke the last time I got a job like that- I wasn't really qualified. Since then, the positions I've looked at have always insisted on the person having a real library science degree.

I'm trying to take apart what's not been working: one of the things I'd really like to move away from (which is difficult where I live) is working for grants. I hate the reports, and the uncertainty, and the stress of having to follow the money-giver's rules.  I've never worked in the private sector. That may be where I'm headed.

It took me years of working with the public to finally find a job that suits me and my disabilities. I have a job where I sit in front of a computer and enter data into it. I can lsiten to my iPod, and I don't have to converse with anyone unless I want to. I worked retail and call centers for most of my life and the hell that those types of jobs put me through is so terrible I could never go back and work those tyes of places again. I am really lucky I found this job.

I work in IT. I have some interaction helping other people in the office, but mostly I sit at my desk working on reports, studying new concepts, or doing remote work. On a good day I may get to listen to Pandora or my own music, but usually people take issue with that. I did retail for 10 years and I'm done with that, although it was good for helping me get over that fear of talking to strangers.

But currently I hate my job (for non-IT reasons) and it's causing me a ton of stress to where I can't de-stress enough to handle it. IT jobs are tough to find where I am, so I'm stuck for the time being. I work for local government, and while the benefits are great, I now despise politics and politicians.

If you find out the answer to this question please let me know ;).

It's funny because I'm thinking of enrolling in library school next semester... I've always had an inkling (no pun intended) that this environment would be for me. I won the literary award at high school and love the quiet atmosphere in a library. I have a science degree though so hence am thinking about re-training, hopefully the research skills will cross over.

I've always dreamt about being in a helping profession, eg) teaching, speech therapist, but I've been told by several people it would be too stressful for me and while I don't let myself get too influenced by other people's opinions I feel they may be right. Also I wasn't allowed to finish my teaching degree because I became unwell and was discriminated against. To complete speech therapy would take another three years and I don't have it in me I think.

Currently I am working as a lab technician and in administration. I prefer the administrative side of things better since science has always been a strange bed-fellow for me. I tend to enjoy working in a creative chaotic mess although rote tasks are fun too because I can shut off and think of something else.

Sorry for the ramble :)

Edited by nightbutterfly

I work in IT. I have some interaction helping other people in the office, but mostly I sit at my desk working on reports, studying new concepts, or doing remote work. On a good day I may get to listen to Pandora or my own music, but usually people take issue with that. I did retail for 10 years and I'm done with that, although it was good for helping me get over that fear of talking to strangers.

But currently I hate my job (for non-IT reasons) and it's causing me a ton of stress to where I can't de-stress enough to handle it. IT jobs are tough to find where I am, so I'm stuck for the time being. I work for local government, and while the benefits are great, I now despise politics and politicians.

This is what I want to do. I'm currently beginning the certs for network admin. I have no IT background whatsoever and my degree is in policy, but I really think I would be good at IT and for that reason it would be more suitable for me/less stress.

i'm a teacher - or was - and i pretty much don't like it, just ended up here.  i'm an assistant director at a tutoring facility now so i spend half of my time tutoring the kids and the other half running the place (which means i REALLY don't like it) and the hours are terrible, but it pays the bills.  i like interacting with the kids and i know and other people tell me i'm really good at it, but i don't enjoy it.

i was actually going back to do my pre-med classes right before my husband left me but i had to drop them because it got to be too much to do with the divorce.  one day (soon?) i'd like to finish those up (pre-med or nursing - i'm debating between psychiatry and midwifery) - maybe when my daughter starts school.  until then i'm just hoping to get a classroom job so i can get a normal schedule again.  right now i only see my daughter in the morning and she's asleep when i get home.  that's worse than working a crappy job all day.

I am in the teaching field and the work is so satisfying, but when I hit a low I wonder how I am supposed to be a role model four kids when I can't control my own emotions or impulses on bad days. I wouldn't give it up for anything though because I know I can do this profession and ad many rough days ad there are three are many more good ones.

Not to burst anyone's bubble here, but I have three friends with Library Science degrees, and none of them are working in libraries, or even remotely in their fields. One of them is doing bicycle reviews, if that gives you any idea.

I like being a jeweler pretty well. Minimal contact with the public, worked with my hands...but the palce I was working got worse and worse as the relationship between Mom and Pop who ran the store went to shit, and it ended up being incredibly stressful. Then the economy tanked and it got really hard to get a job in jewelry.

My best jobs involve quiet, routines, and flexible hours.

DontStopMeNow - beware of any job that has "help desk" in the title, because you will be spending your time dealing with people. Unfortunately, a lot of entry-level IT jobs are help-desk jobs :/

Programming is the way to go. You can sit all day listening to music working on code, and if you're really lucky, you can work remotely from home. Personally I can't stand that level of human interaction (virtually none), but anyone looking for a peaceful, stable career should consider it.

Bubble still intact thanks Gearhead : ). I'm currently trying to gain work experience in a library to make sure it's right for me and not some crazy bipolar dream. I do love helping people research, computers & physical tasks such as stacking books so I'm very hopeful.

Back on topic... It also depends on the person and his/her passions. Volunteering and gaining work experience in preferred areas may help a person find out what is right for them.

I have a degree in journalism and I've tried working as a freelance writer (no money) and every kind of job related to my experience: sales, marketing, filmmaking, home staging, selling stuff on eBay for others (money was okay and I got work at home). But the thought of going to an office every day and doing the same thing over and over again would make me crazy, no pun intended:)

I've found I have to be creative and work for myself. This has not made me rich (far from it:), but those are the jobs that make me happiest. BUT I'm at an age where I HAVE to find my "something". So, I've decided to get certified as a yoga teacher. I love yoga, been practicing 14 years now and I like helping others. I'm also one of those people who think that the world would be a different place if everyone practiced.

It's helped my mental state (BP II here) and it changed my body-no aches, no pains and I'm in super shape. I think if I preach what I practice, it might help me stop focusing so much on my MI. Yoga will probably not make me rich either, but I can make some decent money either building a clientele of people who want private lessons ($100 an hour, no overhead and pure profit), or maybe working for a corporation or even a hospital (helping seniors, people with physical problems or even people with MI).

So, I'm giving that a go and I hope it's my life work-I can teach until I'm dead, it's creative and I hope fulfiling enough to make a real career for myself. It would be a first for me:)