CrazyBoards.org

Love/Hate Relationship with Spring

You aren't the only one.  This is an old article but it came up on a quick google

'Spring madness' in bipolar patients

Longer days bring manic episodes. 

Diaries reveal patterns

http://www.nationalreviewofmedicine.com/issue/2006/04_15/3_patients_practice02_7.html

I have trouble adjusting to time changes.  I think fall is worst for me.

Yep. The last few years I have positively dreaded the end of winter, hating all that prying, exposing light and sunshine and fewer clothes to wear.  Staying invisible in a dark cold winter cocoon sounds better and better.  But there are some spells where I like spring like a normal person too.

I've had trouble with spring/summer manias too.  Then again, one of the earliest manias I can remember having was in the middle of January.

I don't have bipolar but I'm barging in here because I HATE spring and I ALWAYS get depressed.  Maybe I should start a thread about this in the Depression sub-forum?  heh

You all have my deepest sympathy and I'm with ya, kids.

olga

The long days of spring and summer bring intense anxiety for me, and psychosis. The time change in fall, when you go back an hour, brings hypomania. 

So, fuck spring. *anxious as all hell*

Edited by Parapluie

Yep, spring makes me nuts.  I'm relieved I'm in the southern hemisphere and don't have to worry about it again until September!  Don't be afraid to talk to your pdoc about temporary med tweaks to get you through the nuttiness in one piece.

I think many non-crazies can get a bit nutty this time of year... in either hemisphere. Something about equinoxes in general.

I love the longer days of spring, new growing things, baby animals, warmer weather, hoola hoops, going for walks, the true beauty of my neighbourhood...

I dislike the attacks of the crazy. And the trauma-versaries, which makes a strange sort of sense to me now since I'm reasonably certain my stepmother has a BP type of mood disorder.

I think many non-crazies can get a bit nutty this time of year... in either hemisphere. Something about equinoxes in general

Actually, that's an interesting point Miron.  Even though the slide into autumn is being painfully slow here (still too many very hot days), I'm noticing that I'm getting edgier than usual, that my reactions to situations at work are sometimes unreasonable but I can't help them, that my road rage is increasing - that kind of thing.  Are there any other southern people feeling this kind of thing? (Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread - just curious to know what others are feeling about the reverse weather change.)

Spring affects me too.  Pdoc needs to reduce prozac usually. 

I get anxious about spring because it means winter is over as well as the cold weather almost being over, and I absolutely hate summer which is to follow, with the hot/humid days.  Not looking forward to the warmer days.  Even the spring ones.

My mood seems to be more mixed and hypo in spring and summer, the summer heat makes my delusions worse. I'm already flagged for a med tweak if it doesn't get better.

Edited by wj74

I LOVE LOVE spring.

I think I get hypomanic in the spring though, or at least that's when I had a clear hypomanic episode a couple years ago when I was unmedicated...it was great! The world, and myself, were beautiful and amazing and perfect! But I crashed back into awfulness over the summer.

Since then when I've been on medication I think I've been only mildly hypomanic...but I definitely have a spring based cyclical mood situation.

Spring just makes me sooo happy though!! The SUN and flowers and warmth and light out evenings! sometimes too happy I guess...Didn't know about bipolar applying to me any of the previous springs, so it will be interesting to see what I notice this one. Still looking forward to it though.

My manic attacks have occurred in all seasons except autumn so I'm entering my "safe zone" at the moment (in the southern hemisphere). The worse times for me are around June/July (mid winter), Oct (mid spring), and Jan (mid summer).

I do get a particularly elevated mood in spring and feel more motivated to do things. So all things considered I personally have nothing against spring but I do know it can be an especially triggering and hypomanic time for some.

I love spring. But last year I had two pseudo-psychotic episodes right after it got warm out, and ended up talking to ladybugs and rubbing dirt all over myself in my backyard. I'm afraid of that happening again.

This year, it seems like spring has no intention of showing up anytime soon. The temperature is well below freezing every night and it's still snowing every few days, and I'm so goddamn tired of the snow and ice and cold. I want to see grass and flowers and leaves on the trees. The dirty shades of mud and grey keep reminding me of the bleakness in my own mind.

Every year, I expect this miraculous psychological rebirth, as if I will suddenly become "cured," and predictably, it never happens, and I get frustrated and depressed. 

And every year, I think to myself, "This time it will be different. This time, it will work."