CrazyBoards.org

Hi all.  I currently am taking Seroquel 200mg in the am, and 400mg in the pm for BPII.  I have recently been diagnosed with metabolic syndrome (hypertension, high blood sugar, and high cholesterol) and have had to go on glucophage and vytorin for the blood sugar and high cholesterol.  All my weight gain (70lbs in the 2 years) has been since my last increase in Seroquel. 

My pdoc wants to switch me to Geodon, stating that it is weight neutral, and the seroquel is obviously not.

My question is:  Have any of you taken both these meds, and what are your experiences with one vs the other, side effects, which do you prefer, etc.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.  I've read the SE on crazymeds, but personal anecdotes would be appreciated.

HI,

I have been on both, but wasn't on seroquel long enough to give the side-effects (terrible weakness and sleepiness, but unable to get good sleep) a chance to wear off. When I was switched to geodon I didn't have any initial side-effects except a bit of tiredness and that went away within a week.

BOTH worked VERY well and rather quickly on my symptoms.

Good luck!

~opheliah

I took Geodon for a while but the side effects were intolerable. I gave the med a chance, I stuck with it for months. But the severe vertigo and nausea were too debilitating and I had to stop. I gained weight, alot of weight, on the Geodon too even though it is weight neutral for many. As always, YMMV.

I just switched from Zyprexa to Seroquel. I am having a very tough time on the Seroquel. I have not been able to titrate up past 100mg due to orthosatic hypotension. So right now, I don't get much benefit from the Seroquel. All I get is sleeping 12+ hours a night and being in a fog all day long. If/when I can ever get to a higher, less sedating dose of Seroquel I will just have to wait to see if it is going to work for me as an add-on mood stabilizer. I have not gained any weight since I began the Seroquel, I have actually lost a few pounds, but I am not on a very high dose yet either.

Erika

I have been on both seroquel and geodone...actually just started the geodone about a month ago...seroquel was horrible for me, it opened up a big box of evil in my head and then the night terrors began, but the only probs I had with the geodone was the initial overdose, built me up way to quick and I almost lost my job over it (they thought I had a drug problem, don't we all???) But as far as side effects I vote geodone all the way...

been on both.  love Geodon way more, as Seroquel made me sleep so god damned much.

Geodon makes me eat less. D:  But it does not like heat, so in the summer, being on Geodon is hell!  But it's tolerable, drink some water or something I guess.  Haven't had anything weird happen to me in the ways of Geodon really so I can't really not recommend it. ;)

Geodon has a real real short half-life.  If you miss a dose, it will let you know pretty quickly.  That's why I had to quit taking it.  I'm way too scatterbrained to be left FUBARed by a missed dose.

Several bp folks around here have had trouble with geodon inducing mania, fwiw.

Thanks to everyone so far for their input.  It really helps.  My pdoc is holding off at the moment--I still need an EKG and a 24 hour Holter monitor (24 hour EKG) test, and everything has to be coordinated through my internist.

Keep the comments coming, please.  The more info the better ;)

I took 240mg of Geodon for most of the 2004 year.  It helped with a lot with positive symptoms but not so much with negative symptoms.  I didn't gain any weight on it, but it did give me anxiety and sometimes insomnia.  I have been on 300-400mg of Seroquel for most of the 2005 year.  Seroquel helps me mostly with paranoia which I like.  I have gained weight on Seroquel though.  I like Seroquel more, but Geodon is still a pretty good drug in my opinion.

http://www.zacharyodette.com/

Archived