CrazyBoards.org

Okay I have been on a low dose of this for almost two yr's. I am trying to figure out what the heck is causing my depression. But, it kinda makes me even more depressed cuz I'm obsessing. So I want to raise this when the doc says it's okay to see if it will lift my mood. I ain't trying to be high or anything. I just want this lingering depression to stop. So! is there anybody else here had good results from raising the V.A. and tell me your experiences.

Well I cannot take anymore than 500mg and I actually lose all contact with reality, lose touch of time, lose sense of my body, and I cannot control bodily function. It is very difficult to function. At 500mg however, it is very helpful. It does not help me with depression, but it does help me with my irritability and if I go beyond that, my anger. I take lithium for anger and depression, and valproic acid for irritability and rage. 

I don't think alleviating depression is really valproic acid's thing.  Or not for me, anyway; after several years on very low doses 500-750 mg, I was upped to 1000 mg for 6 months or so and now 1500 mgs for two months and I'm just as depressed as ever. 

I'm not familiar with any of your other meds other than Zoloft, and you don't have a med graveyard listed.  How many antidepressants have you tried?  I'd bet on an AD lifting your mood long before I'd bet on valproic acid doing that job.

That's three, or four counting the Zoloft, that you know don't work for you.  There are lots more to try.  It can take a long time to find something that works, years maybe, and many, many people here on CB know how much that sucks. Tell your pdoc that you're still feeling depressed, and maybe it's time to try a new med or new dosage.  Hang in there.

I am not on valproic acid, but I am on another valproate med - divalproex sodium.

The valproate meds are not typically known for having antidepressant effects.

But - my divalproex works as an antidepressant for me. So, experiences can vary.