CrazyBoards.org

Possibly epileptic, probably not. I hope.

I had what my doctor believes was a seizure earlier this year.  Body jerking, arms and legs jerking , head jerking, totally out of it.  I didn't know anything had happened.  I thought I'd fallen asleep on the sofa and got a crick in my neck.  It was only because my best friend was there and saw it happen that we knew something might be going on.

I also smell things that aren't there.  It's been going on for months.  Not pleasant smells, either. 

I had an MRI done a few months ago, and had a hideous panic attack because of it.  A few days before I was to see the neurologist for the results, the doctor's office called and said the doc had been called out of town, and they would send me a new appointment by mail.  I never received an appointment card, and I've not called to inquire about it.  I've been telling myself that if they had discovered something wrong, they would have sent me the appointment. 

I guess my question is, should i bite the bullet and call neurology, or am I safe in assuming I'm fine, just fine, nothing wrong here, nope nope nope.

if your neurologist's office is anything like any of my neurologist's offices, they never called you back either because they're incompetent or swamped, so assuming that all's well because you never heard back isn't necessarily a safe bet. frequently, because results take some explaining, they won't give you a yea or a nay verdict over the phone at all, and prefer to have you come in for a consult. annoying, but usually the case.

give them a call and schedule a followup. it's best at least to know one way or t'other, particularly since you've already had to go through the testing. smelling odd things is often a sign of something being not quite right, but the earlier you catch any sort of problem, the easier it is to treat. the more frequently you have seizures -- if, in fact, that's what's going on -- the more likely you are to have more in the future. if there is anything wrong, treating it early is the best way to be sure it's addressed properly. if you're perfectly fine, you won't have to worry anymore about it. and they might give you a lolly either way, if you ask nice. (last time i had to go in, i got candy!)

I totally agree with Hal...essp. when it comes to the lollypop...

but seriously, its better to be safe than sorry. The whole smelling odd things, and the fact that you had something happen with a witness...is something to be concerned about. Id call just to discuss what this could be about...

Archived