CrazyBoards.org

For Aussies - apology from government for forced adoptions

Today the Australian Federal Government officially apologised for forced adoptions carried out in the past. This isn't related to the 'Stolen Generation' forced separations but is simply for anyone who was forced to adopt out their baby and for the babies involved.

'From the 1950s to the 1970s an estimated 150,000 unwed Australian mothers had their babies forcibly adopted under a practice sanctioned by governments, churches, hospitals, charities and bureaucrats.

Some women were tricked into signing adoption papers, drugged and physically shackled to hospital beds.'

Here's the link to the Australian article: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/we-apologise-pm-tells-victims-of-forced-adoptions/story-fn59niix-1226602329448

I accidentally heard it on the radio. It sounded quite heartfelt and one of the MPs told his personal story.

Apparently they're setting aside a piddling amount of money for therapy for anyone involved. I found some contact details on the Attorney General's website...

Forced Adoptions Apology Team.

Call: 02 6141 3030. Outside Australia: +61 2 6141 3030

Email: forcedadoptionsapology@ag.gov.au

I hope this helps someone out there.