CrazyBoards.org

nervous about pharmacy mixing up meds?

When the meds change in shape/color/etc, the pharmacy I go to will note on the prescription that the pills may have changed in size/color but are the same med as you've been getting. 

If the dose changes and the pills look different, then I'd ask your pharmacist if they are the correct ones/strength.

If you have any other questions about it and you are not told that the color/shape has changed, I'd ask you're pharmacist.  They'd be able to tell you.

I *think* it is just a different company making the pill that the pharmacy decided to get.

Edited by melissaw72

Highly highly highly unlikely that a pharmacist could make that kind of mistake.  They are trained very well to not mix up meds due to the very serious risk involved.  You have a much greater chance of dying while in a car.  I wouldn't worry about it.

Actually, bluechick, I have been given the wrong pills on one previous occasion and the wrong dose on at least two occasions (and not by the same pharmacy).  It definitely happens and it's important to keep an eye on your own meds.

If your pills don't look right, don't be embarrassed to ask the pharmacist to double check, or to do some checking yourself.  If you are not sure what something is, make sure before you put it in your mouth.

When I got the wrong medication I knew it looked wrong but I was too embarrassed to tell the pharmacist and I ended up taking the wrong medication for 5 days and going into withdrawal from the medication I was supposed to be taking.

I have also been given the wrong dosage.  

I just check and double check.  Also like melissa said, if your pill shape/color has changed, your pharmacy should give you some sort of indication of this whether by sticker on your bottle or your PI sheet.

If you are making a med and/or dosage change or something doesn't look right, I would not be at all embarrassed to ask the pharmacist to go through your rx with you.

I also do a quick visual check of my meds before taking any of them to make sure they are the same pills I always take.

Actually, bluechick, I have been given the wrong pills on one previous occasion and the wrong dose on at least two occasions (and not by the same pharmacy).  It definitely happens and it's important to keep an eye on your own meds.

If your pills don't look right, don't be embarrassed to ask the pharmacist to double check, or to do some checking yourself.  If you are not sure what something is, make sure before you put it in your mouth.

When I got the wrong medication I knew it looked wrong but I was too embarrassed to tell the pharmacist and I ended up taking the wrong medication for 5 days and going into withdrawal from the medication I was supposed to be taking.

Eeeep.  That's awful.  I think I'm going to give my pharmacist a big ol' kiss on the mouth next time I see him.  He has never once screwed up my prescription.

Course, I do still check every time just in case.

you can look at your pills, right there at the counter before you pay

if anything looks different you can ask, and you can also ask about the new dose

they will take your questions

I think it is rare that they make a mistake, though obviously it happens occasionally

just double check and ask

http://pillbox.nlm.nih.gov/index.html has worked for me (its still in beta though) I switched to the 9.99 generic of Celexa from a grocery store here and then my Vitiman D got uped and both of them are white, then there is the synthroid that is almost the same size as Celexa and the white lamictal. Lots of white pills so I understand your confusion. For me everything goes out into a pill tray so I can atempt to keep it straight. I have never had a problem with geting the wrong medication, but YMV