CrazyBoards.org

Mood Stabilizer for BPD (depression symptoms) that won't increase anxiety or interact with 'the pill'?

My cocktail of meds works a bit, but not nearly well enough. I have been thinking for a while now about looking into getting on a mood stabilizer. I have Borderline Personality Disorder (yes, I've done DBT... a year and a half of it) and still struggle immensely with my moods throughout the day. Basically, despite the 2 antidepressants I'm on, I'm still depressed and the depression goes from moderate to severe, then up to moderate, then down to severe again numerous times a day. The 2 antidepressants I'm taking do help in a way with my depression, because before my depression was severe and would get even more severe throughout the day, and then go to 'just' severe again, then down some more. But obviously the current moderate depression to severe depression and back up and down numerous times a day isn't enjoyable. I've lost all hope of ever being cured of depression, since I've been struggling with it for 13 years now, and have been on many different meds for it (plus lots of therapy) for 9 years. I'm just trying to keep an open mind with meds, because I do believe that I can still improve more... just not that it will ever be cured.

I have dysthymia, which is a form of depression (for those of you who don't know, dysthymia differs from major depressive disorder in this way: major depressive disorder is more severe but doesn't last as long, whereas dysthymia lasts much longer but is less severe)... so that's what the 2 antidepressants I'm already taking are for. But the... for lack of a better term, depressed mood swings (aka the depression going from moderate to severe and back again many times a day), that's what I'm considering mood stabilizers for. It's exhausting to keep up with the mood swings (as if depression isn't exhausting enough, right?). I'm pretty much an expert on the emotion regulation module from DBT at this point, and unfortunately it hasn't been enough to make my moods much more level. Oh and my apologies for the length of this post but I figured more details are better than less in order to get the best input back.

I've been researching mood stabilizers, but some of them seem to either increase anxiety, or decrease the effectiveness of 'the pill', which I am on. Going off of the pill isn't an option for me for a few different reasons, nor is using birth control other than the pill. And I have severe anxiety disorders, so if possible, I would like to avoid meds that will increase my anxiety. Does anyone know of anything that can help me, and that can be taken still while on 'the pill', AND preferably not increase my anxiety? I will deal with increased anxiety if I have to because a substitute to the pill isn't an option for me. I want to make an appointment with my GP soon and am hoping to have a mood stabilizer in mind that I can bring up the possibility of being prescribed. Thanks so much in advance for any input you guys can give me!