CrazyBoards.org

Anyone found that music helps them concentrate or focus better?

If so, what works for you?

My tdoc (back when I was being treated for ADD) always recommended baroque music for concentration - she said it had something to do with the timing and speed of the music.  I don't listen to it much anymore, but FWIW, I did get through writing up my master's dissertation while listening to a lot of Mozart.  I believe there's some controversy though about whether the effect of baroque music is genuine - google "Mozart effect" if you're interested.  I've since come to believe that whether or not music helps you concentrate, and what form that music takes, is really a very personal thing.

eta I can say that I find it completely impossible to work in silence - at the very least I always have music radio playing in the background.

Edited by miab

Unless I am incredibly overstimulated already, then yes music helps me focus.

^^^that. I prefer more complex music, like the kind that has multiple layers going on all at once, if that makes sense at all. Like 2 guitars, drums, cymbals, different choruses or no repeats in the words. Repetitive songs irritate the crap out of me. Oh, and I don't have ADHD but do have concentration issues.

Music absolutely helps me concentrate on  most anything I need to do.  I may still have crap concentration, but for me, crap is better than complete inability to concentrate.  What kind of music really depends on what I'm doing, though.  If I'm trying to work on any of my fiction, poetry or crafty-type stuff, I tend to wind up going for symphonic metal for some reason.  I guess because it's so complex and so much of it feels like it belongs in an epic movie soundtrack.  If I'm working on other types of writing or trying to study up on something, I tend to just wind up throwing my entire music collection on random because THAT is when repetitive stuff gets to me.  (My music collection is very much a hodgepodge of nearly everything, mainly because it keeps me from getting bored.)   I can't focus at all and can't even sleep without some form of music going, so I just tend to throw together a big enough mess to not get much repetition, unless I'm trying to do something creative.  That's the only time I get picky.   I tend to figure out what works best for me for given tasks just by trial and error, until I find out the magic combination that gives me even a tiny bit of focus.  I don't think I'd be much use at suggesting any particular types of music that might be helpful, considering how many people tell me that my taste in music absolutely sucks.  >_>   If all else fails, find a song that seems to be working at the time and plug it into Spotify or Pandora and see if what it picks after works for you or not.   It may take some fiddling and genre surfing, but you'll eventually find something that helps you hit your groove.

Unless I am incredibly overstimulated already, then yes music helps me focus.

Ditto! I have such a wide variety of songs on my iPod Touch. It's been a great gift that I bought myself, cannot get enough of it. I listen to a wide variety of different things... when I'm trying to concentrate, it really depends on how much I'm already stimulated before I choose exactly what I want to listen too.

Similar to sadakodaisy, I find world trance/electronica to be the best for concentration.

This is probably why I have a radio show that plays that, actually.

Type of music for me entirely depends on my mood, what I am doing, and whaat I've been listening to lately. Even the seasons.

Focusing on physical activity based things from heavy warehousing to basic retail merchandising, I need something I can sing and/or dance to. From metal to trip hop. For sit down and focus on writing/typing things I tend to need less 'makes me want to dance/headbang' stuff but again that can be broad across genres.

oh my glob yes. music is the most important thing in my life. it really helps me do my homework. heavy rock (not screaming, three days grace, flyleaf, evanescence, and such)

I pretty much coalesce with thefatalfetus's musical tastes. 

Back on topic, though, I cannot get through a day without music.  Back when I used to work, I'd even check with my supervisors to make sure it was okay to have my headset on if I'm pounding away at a paper/data analysis/whatever in my cubicle.  Fortunately, they hadn't seemed to have minded it, as I told them it made me *more* productive.  I swear, good music must release dopamine out the wazoo, resulting in greater focus.  </speculation>.

Otherwise, must be something to do with the desire for distraction.  Too much of one thing at once (e.g., a somewhat boring task) could theoretically be performed more quickly if made less boring by the addition of distraction.  If that made any sense.

Music is my life, either listening to it or playing it. I need the artistic outlet. Music helps me breathe.

However, if I am doing something that does not necessarily need creativity or my gypsy spirit :P  I find it hard to listen to music and hyper-focus. Say, If i am doing research for a school topic or doing a test, or etc.

Whether it is the fact when music is on I want to pay my full attention to it, and get all the benefits from it musically or if I want to listen to music and free my mind and NOT pay attention to a damn thing IDK, lol.

But depending on the situation, the music, and my goal of focus depends if it helps or not.

Soft pop helps me concentrate better. Like lily Allen, Regina spektor, etc.

Today I forgot my headphones and I pretty much slacked off and texted during class.

The kind of music that works best for me is still something I am trying to figure out, but a really nice pair of headphones is the best investment I have made in a while. I think being able to shut out environmental noise helps me with some sensory issues; I notice that my dyspraxia is nonexistent when I find the right groove.