CrazyBoards.org

wellbutrin sr dosage is split unevenly-300mg in the morning and 150 later...

I've been taking Wellbutrin SR for almost 2 years now, my dose was at 150mg twice a day but I really just don't feel like it's working the same anymore at all. I have been deeply depressed for months and lately I've been alarmingly suicidal (passively but still, it's a daily thing now). My pdoc upped the morning dose so now I take 300mg in the morning and 150mg later.. it's just been 3 days of doing that but I really feel like I crash hard by the time I take the 2nd dose, I become COMPLETELY exhausted, 8-9 hours after taking the morning dose (like tired enough to lie down and sleep on the floor) and my mood isn't nearly as good. I don't really know why she thought this was a good idea because I'm bipolar & borderline so stability is really hard to achieve, and I take Seroquel (altho I'm going to switch to Abilify soon) which makes me super exhausted as it is. Has anyone else split the dosage unevenly like that? It seems really weird to me. It really doesn't help that my sleeping schedule involves sleeping really late in the day and staying up late at night (partly because I work late nights).

Regarding my dr, I see her at a clinic for poor people with ridiculous waiting lists so I won't be able to talk to her again about this med change anytime soon... hence posting here. The good thing is I just got health insurance again and I'm about to start looking for a new doctor that I"ll be able to see regularly and actually call on the phone and stuff. But for now, I need something effective, and I don't know if I should just wait this out and see if it changes or if this is a really bad idea. I can't deal with getting this unbelievably tired in the early evening.

Have you ever tried Wellbutrin XL?  If you're feeling when the Wellbutrin is wearing off then maybe you should try the XL.  I believe that the delivery might make it easier on you.  I took SR for a long while but the XL was so much easier as I didn't have to remember to take it multiple times a day.

I think you should ask your new doctor about taking the XL version, so the med is released into your blood over a period of several hours.  Or, if you are going to take 450mg, do what Mellisaw72 does and take it in 3 doses throughout the day.

olga

Yes, I agree with others that XL is the way to go.  I take 450 mg once a day in the morning.  There is definitely a difference for me in the effect of SR vs XL.  The XL takes that up and down edge off, at least that's been my experience.

I would think that you might be able to get your prescription changed from SR to XL with a phone call to the clinic where you see your doc, since you're not changing the dosage.

Edited by Catnapper

another vote for the extended version.  the same thing happened to me on the SR.

when i was on WB, i also took 300 in the morning and 150 in the afternoon.  when i was feeling that afternoon "drop" pretty bad, like you are, she moved up the time when i take the second dose (like, 6 hours later not 8).  that helped too.  i don't remember that there was an earlier crash because of it, so it must have worked somehow.