CrazyBoards.org

Treated like a child outside of your home?

I feel that way inside and outside my home. Along with MDD, I have terrible social anxiety/awkwardness and a lot of trouble navigating everyday life - I've had psych professionals repeatedly enquire as to why I am still living at home if it depresses me or why I can't get a job and work part-time while going to school like everyone else my age. The same goes for talking to anyone outside my home - it's hard for me to explain that I am too depressed and anxious to function on my own, and yeah, it is not something I am proud of or enjoy. I understand what you're feeling. It sucks.

In regards to that therapist - I would stay as far away from her as possible. Could you report her maybe? The way she treated you seems not only uncalled for but could be seriously detrimental.

Edited by radicalfeminist

"Adult life is just tall grade-school."  -- Dennis Miller

"We tend not to see the world as it is, but as we are ourselves."  -- I forget, google it

The second quote is for the therapist, not you.  It is also for all the people who treat you like a child, because they see some part of THEMSELVES as children, as immature, not you.  If someone treats you like a child, they are more the child than you are.

I am treated like a kid, don't know the whole reason why, but part has to do with me looking nothing near 40 years old.

Might also have to do with how I don't know how to "act/behave/whatever" other than I know, and I don't think part of me has ever really made it past my childhood other than chronologically.  I mean, how is one supposed to be at 40?  But people definitely do not see me at my age. 

Also might have to do with the fact that I don't know how to fight back, ie, in a conversation, and if I do try to it just all comes out wrong.  It certainly isn't a grown adult talking in those situations (even though I am; I just don't know what to say for my age).

Wow. First I want to say that the therapist was totally out of line. They shouldn't have been screaming. At least I don't feel like that's an appropriate response. I'd tell someone that comment and how it made you feel, especially if the therapist has any sort of higher-up.

I don't know. I haven't had too many problems with people not treating me like an adult. I tend to have the opposite problems--people treating me like too much of an adult. I think it has to do with me having a lot of responsibility when I was younger (I was a "second parent" for a few years starting at a young age). That said, people tend to guess my age very young, and often think I'm around 16 or so. That's very irritating. 

I really think that person should be reported to her supervisor.  That is NOT how anyone should be treated, and certainly not in a group setting.  It was unprofessional, to say the least.  Please file a report with the agency that employs her.

olga

That was a completely inappropriate thing for that therapist to say to you. You don't deserve to be treated like that. I agree with everyone who said that she should be reported.

I've been treated like a child by many mental health professionals. This is mostly due to me a) still living with my mother; b) needing a lot of prompts in order to do certain things; and c) not working or going to school. To be honest, I am immature for my age. My mental age is a few years younger than my chronological age.

Edited by Hadeharia