CrazyBoards.org

Seroquel and Abilify together?

I take a relatively low dose (5 mg) of Abilify and now I'm looking for something for sleep.  Abilify helps with my moods some.  Anyway, 25 mg of Seroquel does the trick for me.  But can they be used together?  I could take abilify at a completely different time if necessary.  Just don't know if the combo is ok.... Anyone?

there are a metric assload of websites that let you check potential interactions between prescription drugs. some even handle potential interactions with OTC meds, herbal supplements, alcohol and food.  i ran that combo through a couple, and no flags popped up at all. since both are atypicals, though, you might wind up overmedicating if you take both when one will do. is this a combo you were prescribed? if so, relax. if not, talk to your pdoc about it first.

incidentally, abilify tends to be activating, which might make it even harder to get to sleep if you take it at bedtime. if that's the case, just switching the time you take the abilify might make a difference.

a couple addresses, for when you're wondering about interactions:

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/Interaction/I...%22+&CheckFDA=1

http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/.../drugSearch.jsp

Wow. Snatched that question right out of my brain, you did!

I started yesterday on 5 mg Abilify in the morning, and my usual dose of Seroquel at night (primarily for sleep at this point, because it's such a low dose).

I looked it up and supposedly there is no interaction between the two. My pdoc swore up and down they would do fine together, when I asked him (very skeptically).

Well, this may not happen to you of course, but I had a really bad reaction to the Abilify yesterday. I'm not sure exactly whether it was just the Abilify, or whether it was the mix of Abilify and Seroquel in my bloodstream, but whatever the case, it was Not Fun.

I'm waiting to hear back from my pdoc before I take the Abilify again. I'm sure he'll say it was just the Abilify causing my bad experience. But I remain skeptical.  ;)

~Faith

I know about the med checkers but they don't take into account dosages as far as I've seen.  Basically I take 5 mg/day of Abilify and would want 25 mg/day of Seroquel-- very low dosages.  I have educated myself on the possible effects of Abilify and if anything it helps me get to sleep.  The sleeping has always been an issue for me, but is only now bothering me because I need a good night's sleep ever since I've been on Effexor.  To be at my best normally I need 8.5 hours; I usually "get by" on 5-6 because I wake up so much at night.  But now I can't "get by" on that.  Body won't let me.  So anyway... mainly I want to know if anyone has combined the two and can give me real live information instead of generic med interaction checkers...  Thanks!

Faith - OK ADHD is killing me right now... I obviously didn't read your message well because you clearly told me when you took the meds.  I always take Abilify at night because it sedates me.  So I guess I don't know what it makes me feel like.  Kind of loopy I guess and I "flow" off to sleep.  It's staying asleep that's not happening for me...

ahola,

You said that you take the abilify at night because it does sedate you. Yet, Abilify can be activating for many people. Could it be that you start waking up during the night when the Abilify reaches peak plasma levels? So, you fall asleep fine but not being able to stay asleep may be related to when the Abilify peaks? Make any sense? Could this be true in your case?

Erika

Last night I decided that, JUST in case the abilify was actually kicking in and causing me to wake up, I would switch to taking it in the AM... Well, not only did i still wake up at 6 am, but i could NOT get to sleep until 2:30 am.  So that backfired ;)  

• 4 years later...

I take Abilify in the am and seroquel 50 mg at night...Abilify is awesome for concentration, lifts depression but kicks in and kept me awake when i took it at night...better in the am...not hyper but peppy and feel great..the seroquel is my miracle drug...been an insomniac my entire life...I recommend CrazyMeds.com for info..

I took Abilify and HATED it-- tried it in the morning and it put me on my ass... tried it at night and felt like life was all a foggy blur... that being said I was taking it with the Seroquel (50mg) at night and not having any problems with the combo it was the Abilify that was the culprit. My doc wasn't worried about interactions (and she's very conservative with meds) Abilify just wasn't the right one for me

Archived