CrazyBoards.org

If AAPs are an increased risk of mortality in elderly patients...

...what happens to me as I age? 

Are there any seniors on this board who take AAPs?  Do you switch to an AP?  (Or does the same problem exist?) 

I am obviously borrowing trouble in advance here, but my kidneys may be functioning less-than-optimally and I was thinking about the long-term impacts of meds, and then...if I make it to being a senior, what do I do?

I don't know if it's like being on certain meds while pregnant - avoid, but if the risks to the mother being off med are such that it makes sense to stay on meds, then you do.  So maybe we stay on them and just hope.  I don't know.  I don't see my pdoc for awhile but I will try to ask too.

Is it not just elderly people with dementia who have that risk? I didn't realize it was all elderly people.

There are two elderly people in my family who take antipsychotics. One with SZ and other with dementia. So AP's are still used, despite the warnings. When you're over 80, your risk of mortality is quite high anyway. I guess it's worth the risk of dying a couple years early to live out your days with less symptoms.

I'm 46 but there is dementia in my family history so this is a concern of mine too. I also worry about just going bat shit crazy and ending up in a bin somewhere. The sad fact about psychotropic meds is that they work on theory more than anything, that's why everyone seems to have to go on several cocktails before finding something that fits for them. I'd be curious to see what they say about today's ap's in 10 years time from now; which ones are still around and which aren't.

By the time you are elderly there will be better options.

I hope so! 

(I also have a fear that I'll go through the AAPs faster than they make them, though I've been on Saphris for 9 months so far and I think it's a keeper)

There is dementia in my family, too, and I would imagine already having a psychotic disorder that I'm at increased risk for developing it.  Though I don't know much if anything about how that stuff intertwines.

I worry about this too. Bu then I also worry about living a long time while frail. So maybe it's better to die earlier.and, like mcjimjam says at least have a better life while you are alive. I worry even more about the increased risk of TD when having been on APs for a long time. I have nursed dementia patients in long-term (permanent  for some) psych wards who have TD from APs and it's a sorry sight. If that is in my future, rather give me an AP OD and let me die.

I'm not clear on what causes it but it's on the PI sheets of every AAP I've ever taken. 

Edit:  Here's something: http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/PostmarketDrugSafetyInformationforPatientsandProviders/DrugSafetyInformationforHeathcareProfessionals/PublicHealthAdvisories/ucm053171.htm

Edited by jarn

Heart events or infection are already big killers of old people. Mom died recently and we suspect the death was heart related with infections as an another cause. She had advanced Alzheimer's. AP's do effect heart rhythms. There are lots of drugs with this kind of warning for elderly with dementia.

Edited by notfred

I know that there is awareness of this in some psychiatric circles, enough such that often ECT will be used for stability in place of an AAP.  Or in other cases where a med that might normally be used would cause a problem..... I'd think there are options and the key would be GOOD care, which is something the elderly w/demetia often DON'T have (which is why they often get AAPs ANYWAY-- to get them to STFU, basically).   Anna

I thought ECT helped with mood though - does it help with psychosis too, particularly when you get it outside of mood episodes?

I agree that many elderly people with dementia are medicated into submission though.  The health care system isn't kind to the elderly.