CrazyBoards.org

Feel like I am going crazy.... Help....!

I have been diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder, Sever Anxiety/Panic Disorder, Slight OCD, and Mood Disorder.  I also have trouble sleeping, and when these sleep cycles hit where I cannot sleep I wind up with major Panic Attacks.  They have tried all kinds of medicine, but I am currently on Celexa 40mg, XanaX 2 X 2mg a day as needed, Lithium, Seraquil,  Propranolol (low blood pressure med, so I don;t have a heart attack from panic attack in my sleep)... 

I have been under a lot of work pressure and in fact it was a blessing I got fired today for doing what was right (long story)  But I was very releaved.  I am having major financial stress and worry about paying for medication and my high risk health pool rates.  My Mom helps me pay for these.  I feel bad b/c she is retirement age and struggling....but I have no other options.  My spouse ignores me and is not affectionate to me b/c I am no longer the strong person (mentally) that I use to be.  Also I had gotten laid off from a really great job where I made great money.  My job along with 11,000 where moved overseas.  SO I am blamed for all of our financial problems.

My mom and spouse do not understand what it is like haveing these mental conditions.  And b/c of that I get no support, and I have no support from any friends.  I feel so alone in this world.

Recently the panic attacks have really gotten bad.  I don't freak out mentally, at least on the outside.  I keep feeling that I am about to die.  And the worst one is I feel that I am absolutely going totally insane.  It is completely wearing me down.  On top of the feelings I get various physical symptoms.  It almost feels like the panic attack is on going and never really stops.  I get some relef from it... the Xanax really helps for 4 hours, but I really need to be prescribed 3 a day... my doctor doesn't want to do that.  I feel terrified most of the time.  I also feel that I am in unreality.  This is horrible to live like this.... and sometime when I get the feeling I am going to die, I just wish I would....  I cannot take it....

Is there anything at all I can do to get some relief from these panic attacks?  Can panic attacks just perpetually go on like this...???  Also a lot of the time I get freezing cold feet when this is all happening...  I am so desperate... any advice would help....  I just know I cannot go on like this... It is completely wearing me down....   A lot of time the Panic Attacks also have bad episodes of depression with them.... 

I just feel all alone in this world... If anybody can give me some suggestions... I would appreciate it more than I could ever express....

Hi Ricky,

I have lived with PA's for like, ever really...They started getting super-bad in 2005 after my divorce.  Alot of what you said I totally relate too--and I have PA's at night when I'm asleep, so I know how scary that can be!!

The cold feet thing can be from the panic attacks but also from the medications especially the Xanax (I take that too)...If I have to take more than my usual dose because of a PA, I get chilled...A nice hot shower helps that alot.

I know how alone you must feel...My mom is very supportive but she's like 2 hours away.  My current H is minorly supportive in that he'll get groceries when I can't go, but as for being my 'safe place'--he's definitely not. When I have a PA building up, I can avoid them with talking and touch--you know, comfort.  But my H isn't really a warm person to start with so being helpful is difficult for him. 

Do you know of anything that helps you calm down? Like, can your wife rub your back and talk to you?? Or take a hot shower or try to distract yourself with something else? I know how hard it is, and it's important to have someone kind of talk you down.  It seems like you have the right amount of meds, but maybe some talk therapy would help?  Just talking to your wife or a friend...or if you can find a group in your area, they're helpful... Maybe too your wife or mom could help find you a counselor that works on a sliding scale so you don't have to use up more of your insurance.

In my experience, panic attacks can keep coming until you get control of them either through therapy and/or meds. And even then you can still have random attacks...but they do get better and more managable when you've got your therapy/med stuff going on.

Sorry about your job too...My H lost his a couple years ago and we went through alot of financial probs.  It certainly doesn't make stuff easier huh?

I hope that I was able to help you even a little and that you don't feel so alone...PA's happen to alot of people!

Thanks for your reply....  I have had panic attacks for a while... but lately they just seem non-stop...   and they are making me feel like I am losing my mind...  I think you are right... I need to do something to occupy my time...  Thanks again....

Hi Ricky.  I get bad anxiety attacks that meds only help a little with.  I try deep breathing and staying focused on the present moment rather than past regrets or future concerns.  Like brokendishes, a hot shower is relaxing as well.  The internet has a lot of coping mechanisms and self-help cognitive behavior treatment for anxiety/panic.  One site is anxietybc.com.  My doctor recommended it.  It is free to join.  When you deep breathe, focus on each breath and count them.  When you focus on the present moment, really immerse yourself in it.  If you're petting an animal, feel its fur.  If you're drinking a coffee, feel the warmth of the cup and taste the beverage as you swallow.  I got these tips from a $200 an hour psychologist who I had a year's coverage for.  I hope they help.  I also hope it helps to know you are not alone.  I try to tell myself it only feels as if I am dying and that I am not really dying.  It helps keeps me grounded.  All the best to you Ricky.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By girogi30
      HAVE BIPOLAR DISORDER TYPE II, AND ALSO I HAVE  SOCIAL PHOBIA. I HAVE HISTORY OF DRUG ABUSE, AND I HAD BEEN ADDICTED TO XANAX FOR 2 YEARS. THEN, BY FOLLOWING ASHTON MANUAL, I FINALLY MANAGED TO DROP OFF THESE MEDS GRADUALLY. AND I HAVE BEEN CLEAN FOR 18 MONTHS NOW. BUT MY LIFE GRADUALLY BECOMES IMPOSSIBLE AND 1 WEEK AGO I TOOK XANAX( AGAIN) AND IT HELPED ME TO DO DAILY TASKS WITHOUT ANXIETY ISSUES. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO. I HAVE THE FEELING THAT WITHOUT BENZOS MY LIFE IS NOT AS IT SHOULD BE WITHOUT XANAX I AM LOCKED IN MY HOUSE, BARELY ABLE TO COMMUNICATE WITH STRANGERS, EVEN WHEN NEEDED.  
    • By Blahblah
      Had to resort to taking a Valium (5mg) tonight for acute stress flare-up after a heated argument (happened right before bedtime, then I can't fall asleep) These intense emotions of overwhelm and sadness keep me awake for hours afterwards.
      How long until this kicks in? After 20-30 mins, It doesn't feel like it's doing much at all...would taking more be bad? I also have Xanax, but I end up waking up middle of night when it wears off.
    • By HaloGirl66PartDeux
      I ended up trying to leave the store with makeup in my purse. I had money to pay for it. I didn't need it. Had no idea why I did it. LP grabbed me before I even left, held me for 2 hours, had a city cop give me a ticket to appear. I've never done this type of stuff before.
      Ugh.
      As this is just the cap on top of unusual behavior for me, I went to my GP, who sent me to a Pdoc (I had been without one for like a decade) and he thinks I'm some flavor of Bipolar. Begged family for money to pay a lawyer. I've never been in trouble before so my lawyer is trying to cut a deal to keep this misdemeanor off my record.

My court appearance is next week and I'm terrified. Can anyone tell me what to expect?
    • By mmaryland
      So I am currently following the Ashton manual taper schedule for getting off 4mg alprazolam a day and am between stage 5 and 6. I am on 1.5mg Xanax a day and 40mg Valium a day. Anyone else thing this is a high dosage of diazepam? Despite taking 40mg at once, I still don't feel much of any effects, no sedation or memory impairment, no memory loss or blackouts, no ataxia and no 'feeling high'. Is this abnormal for being on such a high dose of diazepam? The pharmacist literally was so hesitant to fill my monthly prescription for diazepam because it was for #120 tablets and said they've never seen someone prescribed such high dosage of diazepam. Pharmacist wanted to call my doctor first, but ended up filling it anyway after I showed her the Ashton taper schedule I was following. All the pharmacist asked was for me not to take it all at once, but my doctor said it was fine to take all 40mg at bedtime so that's what I do. Anyone else have experience using Valium to help taper off Xanax or other short acting benzodiazepines? It has been going surprisingly smooth so far, and I'm thankful I have a psychiatrist who is willing to allow me to take it at my own pace, giving me an extra week at the same dosage before decreasing the alprazolam. I am excited to get off Xanax but at the same time sad because of how much it helped. But I guess it's for the better because I wasn't using it as prescribed anyway. Would love to hear from anyone who has tapered off xanax, using a taper schedule or not.
    • By mmaryland
      So I have been on xanax 1mg two to three times daily for about 1-1.5 years now; Paxil is great and I don't need xanax when on paxil but it makes me manic as hell so that isn't really an option. Been thinking whether Zoloft would be any different.... Anyway, still on xanax same dosage, but just doubled my valium from 10mg at night to 20mg at night because I was waking up from sleep with difficulty breathing and panic symptoms. I asked to try ativan, eliminate the antipsychotic i use for sleep mainly since ativan 2mg really helps with insomnia, and get rid of the valium. Well she said lets try increasing the valium first then we will go from there.
      Valium honestly does nothing for me. At 10mg I legit feel nothing. It takes at least 40-60mg for minimal anxiety relief. I respect its long half-life but if it's not benefiting much for sleep, or other anxiety problems in the morning I feel like why should I continue it. Switching to ativan 2mg at bedtime could get me off valium and saphris for sleep 
      (would love to not be on an antipsychotic mainly for sleep anyway). Ativan very little to no next day drowsiness, cognitive impairment, lethargy, flat mood. Refreshing sleep is what ativan gives me. Any ideas why the dr might be pushing for valium instead even after I explained it doesn't help for sleep, for anxiety, only thing it is good for is if i dont take my xanax for 1-2 weeks and I wont have a seizure, but my neurologist said lamital should cover that since it's an anticonvulsant. 
      I don't know whether to stay on 2 benzos as the same time, whether it's xanax and valium or xanax and ativan, or to ask for an increase in xanax to maybe 5-6mg/day in divided doses, maybe 2mg twice per day and 1mg once per day, or 2mg 3x a day. My neurologist said if you need to be on these types of medications than it is warranted and pretty much OK in my case. Klonopin sucks, not as much as valium, but it does barely anything for anxiety, esp. panic, or sleep. Makes me have a depressed mood actually, while xanax uplifts my mood and helps me enjoy life without having anxious mood and panic attack symptoms. Ativan just makes me drowsy so I prefer that for sleep.
      My main question is regarding how i could proceed. Adding ativan, stopping valium maybe saphris, or upping xanax dose and being on only one benzodiazepine. I do have a tolerance so higher doses than 1mg sometimes are needed to stop anticipatory anxiety, avoidance anxiety, and esp. panic attacks. Restoril doesn't help with sleep surprisingly. Never tried triazolam but would love to due to its short half-life and potency/efficacy for insomnia, but my dr thinks it wouldn't be a good idea. Dr says stims may be increasing my anxiety but don't think that is the case. Really want an effective benzo combo or pick to be on xanax only, just at a higher dose. My parents think its crazy to take 3 xanax a day but it's what helps and lets me live life. Somtimes i take more than prescribed because 1mg will not help my symptoms. I just want to be on a stable dose, whether its xanax 3mg xr 1x daily with 1mg 3x daily or 2mg 3x daily. Something has got to give, and the hardest part is even bringing up increasing my xanax dose with my dr because of its bad reputation since everyone seems to abuse it nowadays. I'm ready to take a trip to mexico and take a visit to their pharmacies...