CrazyBoards.org

North Korea

This whole situation with North Korea wanting to attack the US and other locations is kind of starting to stress me out. I keep reading that North Korea doesn't have missiles capable of attacking the mainland US and that Kim Jong Un is just trying to make it seem like he has more power than he actually does. I hate the whole idea of wars and the thought of one totally scares me. Then I keep thinking that things are really worse than the public really know and we aren't being told the real situation but maybe that's just me being paranoid.

sounds like you are obsessing about this

China is North Korea's main trading partner and the source of North Korea's food

China is not going to want No Korea to start a world war

Hopefully at some point the impoverished, ill treated citizens of No Korea will

claim their independence

The United States has the most powerful military ever seen in history.  Watch the Discovery Channel.  You'll see what I mean.  Any attempt to attack us will be met with such swift and impenetrable force that it wouldn't even classify as a war.  It would be a sneeze.  The last actual war to be fought on American soil was the U.S. Civil War.  And that was us fighting ourselves.  (yeah, yeah, there was Pearl Harbor.  But that was an attack.  Not a war.  And then after that we ended the damn war.)

Not to mention, despite the posturing of Kim Jong Un, N. Korea simply does not have the ability to launch a bomb that could hit American soil.  And if N. Korea started a fight with, let's say, S. Korea, the N. Koreans would be slaughtered.  Basically, any real attempts to start any shit will result in the destruction of the N. Koreans.  Don't let those jackasses scare you.

I don't think North Korea can really do much... it's different from the threat of Russia to the United States in the mid-20th century, because Russia and the United States were at a very similar level regarding technology and science. North Korea has nothing on the technological or scientific advancements of the United States or many of the US's allies. In my studies of North Korea, their attempts at being  threatening are generally laughed at or otherwise dismissed by the targets of the threats (mainly South Korea and the United States.) 

Something that I've been imagining is what if North Korea does set off a missile, but it hits a Chinese city instead of a South Korean one? China would most likely not only cut off their constant aid, but kick their asses in on top of it. 

I genuinely feel bad for the people who are so oppressed and brainwashed under North Korean rule, and hope that the problems over there will be resolved, but they're rooted very deeply and I don't know if they will have much relief any time soon, which is very unfortunate. It amazes me that a state like North Korea can even exist in these days.

Guest Vapourware

North Korea has a history of posturing. I agree with the others that their capabilities are vastly below the statements of their Great Leader [or whatever Kim Jong Un wants to be called]. 

I think that one of the ways their Great Leaders have controlled the populace is encouraging the belief that <x> country [usually the USA, sometimes South Korea] are out to get them. Which means that only the Great Leader can protect said populace from imminent invasion and destruction. 

In reality, any actual military move by North Korea will mean the country will be stamped into non-existence. I highly doubt that China, their main ally, will jump in to defend them in the advent of a conflict between North Korea and the USA, considering the Chinese economy is quite reliant on investments made by USA companies.

I have a very good friend in Seoul.  I asked her about any tensions over there just yesterday.  She said that the media is blowing things a little out of proportion, but no one really seems all that concerned about it.

I read the English translation of the DPRK's declaration of war.  It's, um, colorful, but I think it's pretty clear that it's more posturing than any kind of actual threat.  I think Kim Jong Un is trying to remind his people of his grandfather (who was well-regarded).  And yes, what everyone else has said, they really don't have the capacity to do much damage.  To be fair, the US said that about Vietnam and Afghanistan, but we were more or less on the offensive in those situations.

I don't know. I don't think there will be a war, but none of us really know what's going to happen. I just feel so horrible for the people of North Korea. I wish something could be done to free them. The testimonies and experiences I've read of North Koreans who've managed to escape are gruesome and unimaginable.

Well, the war never really ended, so they've technically been at war for the past 60 years.  I think that's why they used the term "state of war" to reflect that they might start to be aggressive again.

At any rate--you're absolutely right, hagar, the conditions in the DPRK are horrible for the people that have to live there.  The hard question is how to make that better for the people, even if their government was over-run.  They are completely isolated from the rest of the world.  What a wake-up-call that would be.