CrazyBoards.org

;)

Hi Iam not Fiona but I can try to help.. Moclobemide is one of the many maoi s  I have tried. It is structurally  different than the others such as parnate and nardil. No food restrictions apply here. It is not quite as effective in clinical  trials as the others but pose less risk to most patients..Doctors seem more at ease  prescribing this.

Some people do well , others do not respond. I was one of the difficult to treat ,unresponsive to medication types.. so It did not work but reading previous links . it was a good drug for some .. No worries  about food interactions, apparently none exist with moclobemide..

Good LUck and relax

frosty I wish you well  :)

Moclobemide is different than the other two MAOIs, Parnate and Nardil, in a crucial way: no diet issue. You still need to be very careful about prescription and over-the-counter meds, but the diet is not such as issue. As far as I know, you don't need to watch your diet for Moclobemide at all (aside from those meds). If you compare a Moclobemide PI sheet with a Parnate one, you'll see the difference in terms of foods.

Still, you should ask your doctor specifically about food and Moclobemide, just to get his "official" stand on the matter.

It is an effective antidepressant, especially if the SSRIs and the main non-SSRI meds have failed to help you, although Nardil or Parnate are more effective. However, the lack of dietary restrictions may make it more worth it.

I don't know much more about it, since it's not available in the US.

Here's a page on it:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginf...pdi/500127.html

It doesn't appear in all the online listings because, well, some are a bit US-centric.

I hope it works for you!

Fiona

Hi all,

Thank u so much for your replies.Feel much more relaxed about it now.I just hopes it works or i haven't got a clue what my pdoc will do next! Pity it dosen't help u sleep thou its nearly 2am and am still wide awake ;)

Thanks again Joules xx 

Guest Vapourware

If you're taking Moclobemide, there are no food restrictions unless you take it at high dosages - say, over 600mg/day. Once you start taking Moclobemide at high dosages, the usual food restrictions for MAOIs would apply [no cheese, no banana skins [!] etc].

Moclobemide is technically a RIMA - sorry, can't remember what the acronym means. Yes, structurally Moclobemide is different from "true" MAOIs like Parnate and Nardil, but they operate in a similar way.

Good luck with Moclobemide. I took it earlier this year - it's called "Aurorix" in Australia - and I think it sent me off the deep end! It did not work for me at all. It did induce insomnia, a whole heap of agitation and the like. The general consensus is that Moclobemide is a mildly-effective AD. That being said, some people have found it a great drug.

Speaking of which, insomnia is a common side-effect with Moclobemide, as well as agitation and irritation. You might have to augment Moclobemide with a temporary sleeping tablet, and it may also help if you take it in the morning.

Moclobemide is technically a RIMA - sorry, can't remember what the acronym means. Yes, structurally Moclobemide is different from "true" MAOIs like Parnate and Nardil, but they operate in a similar way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it goes something like this:

Reversible Inhibitor of Monoamine Oxidase - type A

Todd.

Thank u all for your replies am on 3oomg until next tuesday when it goes up too 600mg don't feel any different yet just a constant headache going to mention that at doctors today. Also have been prescribed a sleeping pill but am still only getting about 2hrs per night am wrecked! Hope everyone is well today. Joules xx 

Archived