CrazyBoards.org

Fisher Wallace thinger?

wj74

I saw this thing on Facebook. It's supposedly approved by the FDA. It's supposed to be helpful for those who drugs aren't helping, or minimally helped by meds. It's like a home version of ECT it looks like. It has sponge electrodes you stick on your head, I assume. Weird.

http://www.fisherwallace.com/uploads/Fisher%20Wallace%20Stimulator%20-%20Instruction%20Manual%20-%20For%20Treating%20Insomnia,%20Anxiety%20&%20Depression.pdf

If anyone wants to read the FDA report on it, you can find that here:  http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AdvisoryCommittees/CommitteesMeetingMaterials/MedicalDevices/MedicalDevicesAdvisoryCommittee/NeurologicalDevicesPanel/UCM290787.pdf

If you scroll down to conclusions on page 36, they state that there are only 7 trials of its use, all with less than 70 participants, most with less than 50.  Some show no effect, some show effect, but those that show effect tended to be unblinded or poorly blinded or have otherwise shoddy methodology.

The FDA has decided that it is safe, but they don't seem particularly convinced that it actually works.

TBH I think it's an expensive placebo.

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

My thoughts exactly.

But anyway, I would be wary of fucking with things like that while not under medical supervision. You never know.

Full disclosure: I'm a freelance writer, and sometimes I do some work for FW Labs.

I just want to clear up some misconceptions surrounding the device. The device has an excellent safety record, and it has been prescribed by hundreds of psychiatrists for the treatment of depression, anxiety, insomnia, and pain. Many people, including those resistant to drug treatments, have found the device helpful in relieving their symptoms. It's not really fair to compare it to ECT, because while they both use electric currents, the FW Stimulator uses a current that is 1000x weaker and works through a different mechanism. If you have the inclination, you can read up on the difference between ECT and the Fisher Wallace Stimulator on the website.

Full disclosure: I'm a freelance writer, and sometimes I do some work for FW Labs.

I just want to clear up some misconceptions surrounding the device. The device has an excellent safety record, and it has been prescribed by hundreds of psychiatrists for the treatment of depression, anxiety, insomnia, and pain. Many people, including those resistant to drug treatments, have found the device helpful in relieving their symptoms. It's not really fair to compare it to ECT, because while they both use electric currents, the FW Stimulator uses a current that is 1000x weaker and works through a different mechanism. If you have the inclination, you can read up on the difference between ECT and the Fisher Wallace Stimulator on the website.

How much did they pay you to write that?

Anything that can cause skin irritation if the sponges aren't fully wet makes me uneasy. Reminds me of the guy in The Green Mile that got the electric chair with a dry sponge.

Edited by wj74

• 1 month later...

You will notice that "nj440" has exactly one post (OK, so this will be my first post too! but ignore that :-) ). He most definitely is a company shill promoting their product. If you google "fisher wallace" and take great pains to check out reasonably neutral boards (that's another thing: the company's boards come back as the top 5-7 google hits!), you will see that he/she has posted nearly the same text on multiple sites.

It might well be helpful for some, but the fact that they are going to such marketing efforts raises my bullshit flag-o-meter.

Yes, I do have a financial relationship with the company, as I've said earlier. When there are misconceptions or confusion about the device online (I am notified via Google Alerts), I do my best to address it, but I am not actively going around to message boards to market the product.

Edited by nj440

nj440, I find this very interesting and extremely promising.  What measurable, medical & psychiatric benefits can you tell me will happen if I use your product as intended and directed?  Could you state this here without providing a  link?