CrazyBoards.org

More dopamine blocked -> less dopamine blocked

Ive come to the conclusion that I dont really care about anything. So now it seems like time to move from risperidone to sertindole to have less dopamine blocked. Ive recently come to this conclusion because ive moved away to live by myself and I can look at myself honestly. Sertindole usually would make me feel strangely satisfied/happy all the time, but at the same time achieving not so much due to little drive, cause im already satisfied. Guess thats due to schizophrenia that I dont achieve much due to feeling satisfied, cause im used to feeling bad due to my predominant negative symptoms. Which should I choose or should I keep switching between them forever?

Edited by konings

Is sertindole --- seroquel?  I've never heard of it before.  Maybe I'm behind, and theres a new AAP, or its just called something else.  I know exactly how you feel.  The AAPs do block dopamine and do decrease drive.  Maybe each one effects people differently.  I am on 300 mg seroquel, and have been for two years, but before that I never had taken more than 100mg for a day or two, because it just made me too listless.  Unfortunately I was put on the higher dose of seroquel in a psych hospital, and stayed with it every since.  But I still kick myself for not trying to at least go down to 200 mg, because I am sure I would feel a little bit sharper and get less whacked out sleep. 

With seroquel, I read  it also has a pretty strong inhibitory effect on the adrenergic system, which can make you feel pretty relaxed and good.  I also read that's a major reason its hard to get off of it or decrease dosages.  At least it was the two times I tried it. 

anyways there are other options out there.  Abilify (i read) at least is supposedly a dopamine modulator - it possibly decreases dopamine activity where it is too active, and increases it in other places.  I think most of what I've written here should probably weigh into consideration your symptoms though because if its meant

to help your schizophrenia then that should probably be the first thing thats considered.  But I hate the lack of drive tool

Ive come to the conclusion that I dont really care about anything. So now it seems like time to move from risperidone to sertindole to have less dopamine blocked. Ive recently come to this conclusion because ive moved away to live by myself and I can look at myself honestly. Sertindole usually would make me feel strangely satisfied/happy all the time, but at the same time achieving not so much due to little drive, cause im already satisfied. Guess thats due to schizophrenia that I dont achieve much due to feeling satisfied, cause im used to feeling bad due to my predominant negative symptoms. Which should I choose or should I keep switching between them forever?

You can't choose a drug based on the bindings alone. If you wanted pure dopamine blockade then haloperidol would be the answer, And yet drugs that blog less than it are just as effective. I'm not sure which you should choose, its really up to you.

Is sertindole --- seroquel?  I've never heard of it before.  Maybe I'm behind, and theres a new AAP, or its just called something else.

Sertindole is a drug that was never released in the US - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sertindole

Edited by Not me

Is sertindole --- seroquel?  I've never heard of it before.  Maybe I'm behind, and theres a new AAP, or its just called something else.  I know exactly how you feel.  The AAPs do block dopamine and do decrease drive.  Maybe each one effects people differently.  I am on 300 mg seroquel, and have been for two years, but before that I never had taken more than 100mg for a day or two, because it just made me too listless.  Unfortunately I was put on the higher dose of seroquel in a psych hospital, and stayed with it every since.  But I still kick myself for not trying to at least go down to 200 mg, because I am sure I would feel a little bit sharper and get less whacked out sleep. 

With seroquel, I read  it also has a pretty strong inhibitory effect on the adrenergic system, which can make you feel pretty relaxed and good.  I also read that's a major reason its hard to get off of it or decrease dosages.  At least it was the two times I tried it. 

anyways there are other options out there.  Abilify (i read) at least is supposedly a dopamine modulator - it possibly decreases dopamine activity where it is too active, and increases it in other places.  I think most of what I've written here should probably weigh into consideration your symptoms though because if its meant

to help your schizophrenia then that should probably be the first thing thats considered.  But I hate the lack of drive tool

Actually the truth for me is I dont really care about anything. With sertindole I am more like myself and more relaxed true, because it doesnt block the dopamine out as much, but because of that I achieve less, not more. I have to lie to myself every time I want to get something done. Its easier to do when your mind is in a more fake situation that a strong drug like risperidone can create.

Edited by konings

You might want to give Abilify a try. It does indeed stimulate dopamine production instead of inhibiting reuptake. It's the only AAP I can tolerate for on-label use, I guess because the mechanism of action is different. I take 50mg of Seroquel for sleep, never been any higher, so I don't know how well it works as an AP.

But I agree with not picking a drug based on dopamine blockading. All of the AAPs act differently.

Ive tried abilify, cant take it as it fucks my joints.

I just took some sertindole and it gave me enough cognitive benefit that I was able to draw the connection to what you said and I think you are right, the alpha adrenergic properties of sertindole and the relaxed feeling they do in fact give is what makes me achieve less. What a bummer as I love feeling so chillaxed on it, I guess I got to whip my own ass and force myself to do stuff on it.

Edited by konings