CrazyBoards.org

Treatment resistant insomnia

First of all I'm not sure if the symptoms of my current episode predated the not sleeping or if it is the other way around.

But I've tried seroquel, trazodone, klonopin, etc. for sleep and all at the same time too. I wake up like clockwork 2-4 hours later. Then I am awake for like 6-8 hours and then I maybe can doze for another hour or so. The funky thing is that I'm not manic, just irritable as hell and depressed.

I'm at my wits end and something has to be done about this or I will...I don't know.

I just stuck in this black mood without sleeping well. No one takes my sleep issues seriously.

I want to ask for temazepam for sleep. Or something like ambien cr. But I'm afraid to be seen as drug seeki g even though I'm not. I just want to sleep.

I would just be honest with my doctor. I don't think it would seem like drug-seeking if you're totally honest about how bad it really is. You deserve to get some good, restful sleep, and I would hope your doctor would see that. I know how awful it is to not be able to sleep. Everything gets on my nerves and I lash out a lot when I don't get any. Amitriptyline made me sleep like a rock for the first couple of months I was on it, but it no longer has the sedating effect it once did, so if I'm lucky I get about 3-5 hours of sleep every night with the help of lots of Unisom, melatonin, and Nyquil. I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but I do empathize. 

Well, with any mood disorder, a doctor should be very cognizant of sleep issues.  That's always my first sign that something is wrong, so I don't think it's unreasonable at all that you'd want to resolve this issue.  I'm having some trouble in this area myself, and I have been for a long time.  It's really, really frustrating.  Really stress to your doctor that you're at the end of your rope on this issue, and you need it addressed, pronto.  If s/he doesn't offer it up, I'd just flat-out ask for Ambien then.

I take temazepam, ambien and seroquel for sleep...... I LOVE temazepam.   Honestly, it feels like a ridiculous cocktail sometimes, but it is what is needed.   Sigh.   That said, I need to sleep.  My doc has no issues with it because.... I have been a chronic insomniac (mood ep. or not) since the age of about 13.  I don't think my doc thinks I am drug seeking bc I do not increase my doses..... Anna

Wel I forgot to update you guys but I am back on seroquel. I hope that will help me sleep better. I think it will now. But part of the problem is I have a bad cold now and I wake up feeling like crap and can't get back to sleep. So I hope once those shenanigans are over I will be able to sleep through the night.

And I have tried rozerem and plan to ask about it when I see the new pdoc next. It did work well for me in the past.

Right now my mood is a lot better so my only concern is not sleeping through the night.

Thanks for all the replies guys! Oh and I will call tomorrow about hopefully getting an appointment sooner.