CrazyBoards.org

Research Request!

“Understanding factors involved in self-injury and e-communities”

Interested in helping with some important research?

We are looking for individuals who have a history of self-injury who are at least 16 years of age or older to participate in a research project looking at self-injury, social support, emotions, and online activity. The study will take approximately 90 minutes to complete and can be done ONLINE, from your own computer, on your own time, but must be completed in one sitting.

Participants will be eligible to win one of four $50 CAD gift cards. The draw will occur in Spring, 2013. Chances of winning will depend on the number of those who participate.

If interested please go to http://www.westresearch.ca/Michal/ or email the graduate coordinator of this project, Natalie Michal (nmichal@psy.uoguelph.ca).

This project has been reviewed and received clearance from the Research Ethics Board at the University of Guelph (REB#12JL023) and has been approved for posting by Velvet Elvis (March 28, 2013).

It does take quite a bit of time to complete.

I can see why some of the questions may increase risk of self harm for people who are already feeling vulnerable.

Nothing I read says that it's restricted to Canadians. Especially since it's entirely online, and about online communities. But given that it's $0.95 to the USD your prize wouldn't be so good :P

it would be good for me (take a look at the flag in my siggie) ;)

I took the survey just now.

I would highly recommend that people who take it be in a safe place with access to good coping mechanisms, because for me, it felt fairly um...  not triggering, exactly, but I could see someone else finding it that way.  It's not any more invasive than other surveys I've taken but it is very thorough, and in depth.  Good questions, but hard to handle some of the implications, so I could see someone else finding it triggering.  My advice is: don't participate in research that might trigger you if you're having a hard time ignoring self-harm impulses in general.

Just a public service announcement!

I took it but I found it hard to complete (but I did complete it) because I took "history of self-injury" as applying to people who no longer self-injure and haven't in a year - as well as people who are currently struggling with it. Not that it matters but I don't think the contest entry went through - the page seemed to freeze. Unsure if that happened to everyone.

Edited by radicalfeminist

I got confused by some of it as well because it seemed to be most relevant to people who are currently using self injury as a way to manage things.

I just did the best I could and left some things blank.

I figure the researcher will make something out of that, or drop my responses all together.

I didn't have any trouble with it freezing, though.

Wooster - I did the same thing. It's an important topic and some of the questions made me hopeful that it was going in a good direction, and I feel like any research that helps de-stigmatize SI and help patients is good. Maybe she'll drop ours, but I hope not. A great deal of it was still relevant to me, just not all of it.