Jump to content

Recommended Posts

To start off, I'm 19 and live away from home at college.

Last year was my first year of college and my depression exploded and I ended up being hospitalized for a day after an incident.

Now to skip to the present... My parents informed me during a visit to my place that they were going to get a divorce.

Lately I've been drinking and smoking more. I've been on 200mg of Zoloft for awhile now. And I have been sleeping very well.

I feel like shit and just don't know what to do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm very sorry to hear that your parents are divorcing.  That is a really difficult thing to live through, and it's understandable that this is making your depression worse.


Are you seeing a counselor at your college?  If you aren't, maybe you should go to the student health services office and ask to talk with someone.  Therapy can be very helpful in a crisis situation.


Also, Zoloft is not the only antidepressant available.  If it doesn't work for you, maybe you could ask your doctor to switch to another one.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds anxiety provoking, sad and difficult.  I had good experiences with my college health center for MI issues (this was getting my master's but still.....).  I second Olga's suggestion, and you may need a med tweak just for now.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used to go to counselling at my college, that's also where I get my meds. I have tried several other antidepressants and Zoloft works the best. However, it has been awhile since I've went and talked to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Being an adult child of divorce is more difficult then people understand. I agree that you should get counseling. you may also pick up some books on dealing with this. Do a Google search for adult children of divorce. You'll find a lot of good resources.

I am truly sorry that you are going through this. I hope your parents can be civil to each other so as to minimize your pain and keep family tensions down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

p0xus -


It can be really confusing when the depression you have that comes from illness is compounded with feelings of sadness or grief brought on by actual events (what we call 'situational depression').  In the case of the divorce, it is very, very important for you to understand and accept that the situation with your parents' marriage is not your fault, and there is nothing you could have done to prevent this, or to fix it.  I tell you this as a divorced man with a son just a little younger than you.


I can also tell you as someone who faced depression as an undergraduate that your university's counseling services can be a great help, and I strongly urge you to seek them out.


Olga is right; Zoloft is only one of many antidepressants.  It may or may not be the best one to work with your brain chemistry, and you and your doctor may need to try another, or several, before discovering the best medication for you.  One thing is certain, though - knock off the alcohol and the smoking.  Alcohol is a depressant.  It makes zero sense to be drinking when depressed.  Smoking rapidly deteriorates your body's ability to heal, and generally makes you feel worse instead of better, besides killing you in the long run.  There are much better things you can do to ease depression symptoms, like getting some exercise, making sure you have sunlight exposure, listening to music you like, and making sure you keep the company of positive people.


Hang in there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...