CrazyBoards.org

Can you possibly know you are going or are psychotic

Or is this a paradoxical description?

I was put on seroquel because I was "losing touch with reality", I dissociated heavily and was paranoid I am on 1mg of risperidal, it was chemically induced and I have asked if I am psychotic and I am not, at the time it felt pretty good and I knew I was going crazy. I was examining everyones eyes projecting my own absurdity on to them, thinking they are talking shit which I was not aware of.

Although sometimes such as a few nights ago I wasnt sure if I was psychotic or not, I have NPD and OCD, I think my OCD stems from the confusion my NPD creates, NPD/BPD is subclinical psychosis or kind of a form of a psychosis, but now that I am self aware I am confused.

What used to be my view on reality was my narcassistic delusion(Im so cool, everybody likes me etc), now that I know better I am not sure if my new view on reality (I have no true friends) is a paranoid psychotic delusion or a fact, my doctor tells me I am not psychotic but wont establish I have NPD either and it makes me feel like I am losing my mind again.

For those who want to know about the NPD dellusions(psychosis):

They are extreme forms of healthy narcassism to the point where the N can believe their own lies without realising they are even lieing, so for example if I get angry at someone and decide to lie and say they provoked me I will before realising I need to lie believe they really did provoke me, if I need to lie about my goals I will believe the lie, for example say I am studying science when in fact I keep putting it off, its psychosis as a defense mechanism against not taking responsability and not being able to plan ahead and not wanting to feel shame. In place of all this is an internal fantasy world of lies that the N isnt even aware of, hence it is a form of psychosis but in literature it isnt described as such because it is only internal (delusion of self) and is only a moral insanity.

But on the other hand it is also described that Ns having poor reality testing, and I believe this is due to psychological projection another defense mechanism against the self, so if an N is a dickhead to someone and they dont get along, say the N is a bully to someone at school or work rather than feeling bad about it the N will instead believe the other person is the dickhead, justified by their retaliation against the N.

I don't know anything specifically about psychosis related to NPD, but one can definitely know he/she's going psychotic, especially if they have had prior experiences (there are examples of ppl checking into hospitals when beginning to hear voices etc.). But the line is definitely blurry, and when the psychosis hits, then usually true insight goes out the door.

Or is this a paradoxical description?

I was put on seroquel because I was "losing touch with reality", I dissociated heavily and was paranoid I am on 1mg of risperidal, it was chemically induced and I have asked if I am psychotic and I am not, at the time it felt pretty good and I knew I was going crazy. I was examining everyones eyes projecting my own absurdity on to them, thinking they are talking shit which I was not aware of.

Although sometimes such as a few nights ago I wasnt sure if I was psychotic or not, I have NPD and OCD, I think my OCD stems from the confusion my NPD creates, NPD/BPD is subclinical psychosis or kind of a form of a psychosis, but now that I am self aware I am confused.

What used to be my view on reality was my narcassistic delusion(Im so cool, everybody likes me etc), now that I know better I am not sure if my new view on reality (I have no true friends) is a paranoid psychotic delusion or a fact, my doctor tells me I am not psychotic but wont establish I have NPD either and it makes me feel like I am losing my mind again.

For those who want to know about the NPD dellusions(psychosis):

They are extreme forms of healthy narcassism to the point where the N can believe their own lies without realising they are even lieing, so for example if I get angry at someone and decide to lie and say they provoked me I will before realising I need to lie believe they really did provoke me, if I need to lie about my goals I will believe the lie, for example say I am studying science when in fact I keep putting it off, its psychosis as a defense mechanism against not taking responsability and not being able to plan ahead and not wanting to feel shame. In place of all this is an internal fantasy world of lies that the N isnt even aware of, hence it is a form of psychosis but in literature it isnt described as such because it is only internal (delusion of self) and is only a moral insanity.

But on the other hand it is also described that Ns having poor reality testing, and I believe this is due to psychological projection another defense mechanism against the self, so if an N is a dickhead to someone and they dont get along, say the N is a bully to someone at school or work rather than feeling bad about it the N will instead believe the other person is the dickhead, justified by their retaliation against the N.

I really have no clue what you're trying to say here.  NPD is not psychosis.  OCD is not psychosis.  BPD is not psychosis.  Where did you get your information?  You said that NPD/BPD are subclinical psychosis.  I have never heard of this.  I even went and did some research about it and nowhere can I find even a mention of NPD/BPD being associated with any type of psychosis at all.  I'm wondering if you came to this conclusion on your own.  If you'd like to do some reading about NPD, you should start with some reliable sites.  Try looking on webmd.com (http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/narcissistic-personality-disorder) or mayoclinic (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/narcissistic-personality-disorder/DS00652).   

I suspect that you are using the term psychotic very loosely. Anyone can be English dictionary delusional. My girlfriend is cheating on me paranoia can be called delusional if there is not basis but an "intuition." A compulsive gambler who always believes he will win can be considered delusional. We all delude ourselves sometimes. In a more clinical sense, like Sylvan, I've never heard of personality disordered thoughts as psychosis. Where did you get your info?

I don't know about the forms of psychosis you are talking about. As for uncontested forms of psychosis I believe it is personal. For me the first few times I didn't recognise or have insight into my condition. It was only with time and experience that I've begun to be aware of the thought disturbances and psychotic breaks that lead to full blown psychosis. I believe it is very hard to gain true insight into the condition once it is full blown - in fact one is usually convinced one is sane and others are crazy.

I don't know about the forms of psychosis you are talking about. As for uncontested forms of psychosis I believe it is personal. For me the first few times I didn't recognise or have insight into my condition. It was only with time and experience that I've begun to be aware of the thought disturbances and psychotic breaks that lead to full blown psychosis. I believe it is very hard to gain true insight into the condition once it is full blown - in fact one is usually convinced one is sane and others are crazy.

Yes, or that they are clueless or in on it. I still have doubts about what is/was real.

Guest Vapourware

If you're looking at delusions in the clinical sense, NPD does not have a psychosis component. 

Although, there is a suggestion that BPD should include psychotic symptoms as part of its criteria. This is a small study though, but interesting all the same: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21770785

Here's another one, although I don't quite understand their method: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0010440X0400121X