CrazyBoards.org

Landlords suck

heavendj4

I'm not sure, but that is shitty of him. I had horrible landlords at the last place I lived. They never fixed anything and if I was a day late with rent they would freak out and call me two or three times that day, and when I was looking for a new place they said I was a delinquent renter or something and that they wouldn't rent to me again because I was a couple of days late on rent. So, I commiserate. Landlords indeed suck.

Well someone explained it to me a while ago. Now I sorta understand where he is coming from.

Even though I think its still intimidation.

I agreed to pay it on THAT day. He might need the money for something important expecting money to be there THAT day. So he sees I haven't paid it and he thinks " Shit when is he gonna pay me? Is he gonna pay me one day late? A week late? A month late? Is he gonna pay me at all?"

It seems like a big over reaction to me....

Edited by heavendj4

There's a few ways your late payment can fuck with the landlord, and chances are your landlord has been on the receiving end of some seriously awful renter in the past who didn't pay their rent, so whenever your rent is late he gets nervous that he's going to have to relive that same scenario over again.

If your rent is late, then it's late arriving in his account, and transactions that are supposed to come out of his account may bounce.

1. Bounces cost your landlord extra money

2. The government doesn't like when you don't pay your taxes on time. Things get especially touchy when it's a business license.

3. The plumbing company hates when cheques bounce, you like your plumber and don't want to lose him.

4. Oh god I'm going to have to evict him if he doesn't pay, and the last time I did that the dude spread feces all over the walls and carpet and I had to re-renovate the entire suite.

The best way to avoid these issues hitting your landlord is by delivering the cheque a day or two early, post-dated for the date you're expected to pay. This way you're never late, he sees that he has no reason to be nervous, and if you're paying by cheque you have proof by way of cheque copies (if your bank does them) that you do indeed pay your rent on time.

Landlords, at least where I live, do indeed have a right to remind you that you've missed your rent payment date. They can also stick an eviction notice on your door the following day if they feel such is necessary.

Where I live you need to pay for a set period in post-dated cheques. After that period is up you can pay at set intervals the way that you do, and the landlord has had past evidence that your money is "good" on the day that you say it is.

If you don't already know this, I highly encourage you to look up the laws that cover landlord and tenant's rights.

Where I live you need to pay for a set period in post-dated cheques. After that period is up you can pay at set intervals the way that you do, and the landlord has had past evidence that your money is "good" on the day that you say it is.

If you don't already know this, I highly encourage you to look up the laws that cover landlord and tenant's rights.

Rosie, you mean that you give the landlord like six checks up front and they wait until the date on the check to deposit/cash them? That wouldn't necessarily work here. Checks can be deposited/cashed here even if the date on the check is months in the future. I have a lot that someone rents from me and he put a trailer on it. He is terrible with remembering to pay so what he does is give me checks for the entire year at one time. The rent is very low since all he pays me is for rental of the land. He'll write four checks with future dates. I have agreed that I will wait until the date on the check to take them to the bank. I do not have to do this though. I could take all four checks to the bank in January and deposit/cash them all. The date means nothing.

So, like you said, Rosie, if someone is going to write a bunch of checks that have different dates, they probably need to check with the local laws.

Holy moly! Banks here have to wait until the date on the cheque in order for it to go through. Otherwise what's the point of the date?

So yes, don't listen to the crazy canuck over here and check your local laws, OP!

In my state, most people abide by the whole post-dating checks out of courtesy, but legally, if you post-date a check here, it is not a valid legal document.  So, if you post-dated a check, and then the person trying to cash it didn't get their money, you go to court, and payee is SOL.

Also, I've rented pretty much all of my life.  I was late once with a payment (totally forgot).  I had an eviction notice on my door the next day.  I went down to the office and apologized for forgetting, and promptly wrote them a check.  I think I had to pay a late fee.  They weren't very nice about it, and they reminded me that they could boot my ass if I was late 2 more times.  I'm sure that's a law that varies according to your location.

I would think there would be some kind of clause in your lease that explains the procedure for late rent, but definitely call your landlord back and arrange a date for when you can make a payment.  Even if you can't make the full payment all at once, I've heard of people paying half ASAP, and then paying the rest a couple of weeks later.  Arrangements can be made.  I think tensions could be eased a great deal by contacting him as soon as you know you're unable to make the deadline.  That way, if he's depending on the money for something, he has time to make alternative arrangements to pay his own obligations.

At our complex you have until the 5th to pay. After that it's a $45 late fee (the max allowed in our state), then you usually get a letter in the mail by the 7th asking you to pay rent by the 10th (or 11th, kinda depends on the calendar and when the letter was sent out) otherwise they put a 3-day notice on your door and send you a certified letter about it.