CrazyBoards.org

Do SSRIs always lose their effectiveness eventually?

I am currently on 200mg Zoloft(Sertraline) for MDD, my Psychiatrist has said I will be on them for a year but I think I have always needed them but never realised, do they always lose their effectiveness after so many years or leave you worse when you come off them? I heard Zoloft and Prozac is neuroregenerative(increases brain cells) so it does not make sense to me that it would stop working or make me feel worse...

I've been on Prozac since 1991 and over the years it has seemed like it has not been working as well at times, so my pdoc decreases the dose temporarily, then increases it later on so it will have a better effect on me.  Seems to work for me.  I dont think it stops working, just that I develop a tolerance to it at times.

I think I have read that SSRIs can be neuro-regenerative, but I'm not sure where/when, so I don't think I can say that for a fact. Definitely, lithium has that property.....

And agreed, I think everyone is different when it comes to SSRIs.  And other meds, when it comes to that.   Some people do well for practically infinity, others need to do some switching.

Anna

it happened to me but with Prozac. it just stopped working and i felt like crap. then de doctor switched to Zoloft (and a bunch of other crap) and it worked well. so, it can happen, but it depends entirely on the individual i think.

There was a study that blocked neurogenesis in mice, and in those mice SSRI's didn't work as well. So there is some evidence for them working that way. 

I wouldn't worry too much about the SSRI's stopping working right now. If this is your first depressive episode, you may not need medication after a year.