CrazyBoards.org

can bipolar be cured? or was i misdiagnosed?

so, my pdoc diagnosed me with bp2, i was more of the depressive side, rarely manic or hypomanic.

but it's been quite a long time without a single episode, neither depressive nor manic. i am irritable sometimes, and have mood swings, but nothing that can be considered episode-like. and depression is under control too.

so, am i cured? or was i never bp2?

can't ask the doc because he moved out of town, and there's no way to contact him.

i know you're not MH professionals, but what are your thoughts on that??

btw, i'm taking the same meds cocktail since the last doc's visit, same dosage, same everything.

If your symptoms are in remission, it's usually a sign that your meds are working, not that your illness has magically vanished.

You would need to talk to your pdoc, but usually you don't get "cured" and stop taking meds....  You just don't.  I've had BP since 99, and for the last year and a half have not been very symptomatic because I've found the right cocktail.  That said, I would NEVER stop my meds thinking I am "cured" because I KNOW what my life has been like prior to meds.

BTW, this is a really common assumption for ppl with MI-- they start feeling better, stop meds, and BAM! Symptoms come back.   And sometimes they aren't so lucky and the meds that worked before no longer work and they are stuck trying to find a NEW cocktail which really blows..... I don't recommend going that route.

Anna

thanks guys for the advice, i'll try to get a new pdoc, because i really really wish i could quit taking the meds, i'm taking the pill but i'm afraid that if i get pregnant and don't know (like in those discovery channel's shows) the meds might affect the fetus.

it's not like i'm planning to get pregnant soon, but just in case...

oh and i wish i could say "i used to need that sh!t to function but i don't anymore" hehe

Yep.  "Can bp be cured?"  Answer: "No, you are stable due to your meds."

"Thanks guys. I am going to stop because [insert ridiculous excuse here] (and if you are THAT worried about pregnancy get depo shots,  or an IUD).  I just want to say I'm better."

Sigh..

Anna

I think most of us at one point or another want to not take meds so often.  For those of us who get stable on them, I think we have a tendency to be overly proud of ourselves.  "Hey, I"m handling this all right.  I've got these great coping skills.  I don't need the meds." 

The truth is that your coping skills are certainly a large part of the equation.  So is lifestyle; diet, exercise, sleep.  But meds, in my oh-so-humble opinion, are an integral part as well. 

I once expressed this same idea to my pdoc and he very adamantly told me, "if it ain't broke don't fix it."  Just be grateful that you're stable.  So many people aren't.  If you're doing well, don't fuck with anything because the ramifications could be dire.  If you're worried about pregnancy and meds, talk to your pdoc.  There are options.

ETA:  BP can't be cured.  And ultimately, whether you have the right diagnosis or night, it doesn't matter.  The bottom line is this -- you used to be sick but now you're stable and happy.  Don't question it.  Love it.

Edited by bluechick

I dont think BP can be cured, but I think it can be managed. For me my meds, psycotherapy and serious lifestyle changes have made me feel more stable then I ever had in years. I still swing into depressions but they are far less deep then before meds, i'm still iritable but I can sometimes point to reasons why. Likewise I can know feelings that lead to thoughts and thoughts that lead to feelings. Does not mean that I can change them but rather noticing them makes them much less powerfull.

i'm not saying that i'm gonna stop taking meds cold turkey, that would be stupid and i know it, and i am indeed taking birth control pills and they have been working quite well, they help me with PMDD aswell.

so, it's just an illusion to get off meds then, like you've said before, i'm doing ok because of the meds, i think it's like in any other disease, when you start feeling better you want to quit the meds because you think you don't need them anymore (happened to me recently with a throat infection and antibiotics) but it comes back worse.

i just wish there were a slight possibility to quit them and not go cuckoo again... like i said, it's just an illusion...

I have that conversation with my pdoc all the time now - I am fine, stable a couple years, do I really need meds? Well, uh, I do remember before, so yes.

Still, we have the conversation. Instead of quitting meds, we are trying to lower the one least likely to result in return of symptoms. We are trying this because I so totally stabilized on Latuda that maybe I don't need Lamictal, too. This is one way to compromise on that inevitable, "I no  longer need meds" issue.

Work with your pdoc. If you've been stable for a long time (year+), maybe try lowering something if it makes sense. (If you are only on one med, don't get stupid. You need a functioning dose.)

What I've experienced is some mild breakthrough depressive symptoms for a couple days after lowering the dose. I restarted fish oil. So far, the symptoms have not stuck around, but if the mild depression begins, I will increase my dose back to where it worked. I definitely do not want to live with depression or go manic. Even the mild, temporary symptoms certainly are a reminder of before and that I definitely do need some sort of stabilizer. They have eliminated my questioning about whether I can go med free. Anyway, a controlled reduction of something with pdoc managing the change is a much safer strategy than just stopping. ... It also makes sense that when stable, less meds may be necessary to maintain stasis, or so I like to believe, which may be deluding myself, but that's the way it is for me. Always wanting less but knowing none is not a viable alternative.

that makes a lot of sense. thanks for the insight :)

i'm gonna need to find a new pdoc, because the one who was treating me is gone, i mean he moved out of the city, and i need to find someone reliable enough, which makes me a bit nervous because i trusted my old pdoc a lot and i'm not sure i will be able to find someone that inspires me the same confidence, but there's no other way but trying, so we'll see...

Can you still reach your old pdoc for a referral? If not, start calling pdocs on your insurance plan if you have insurance. Don't delay. It may take a while to get in to see one. Always remember, first impressions are important. If you think the guy's an ass that doesn't get you, move on to the next pdoc on the list. Psychiatrists are human beings, and like the rest of people you meet, you will connect more with some than others. Chose wisely. But really, don't delay. A couple months waiting list is not unusual.

i think there is no way to reach the old one because he doesn't answer his cell phone anymore, and there's no other way to contact him (email or anything)...

i don't have insurance (it works a different way over here) so i have to go to their practice directly, but i don't know how to start looking for a new one... that's what's stops me, you know, i don't have a single reference, and i wish i could have a transcript of my old pdoc's notes or something like that,  to show the new one and not having to tell him/her the whole story all over again (also because it may be triggering)...