CrazyBoards.org

Longest episode of depression?

I'm curious:  What is the length of your longest episode of depression?  Months?  Years?

Do you always feel somewhat depressed, or do you have discrete periods of remission between episodes?

I need a reminder that these bouts of depression don't last forever.  After months of feeling down, it is hard to remember that it is possible to experience joy and wellness again.

Any and all replies are welcome and appreciated.

My longest episode was 4 years.  Usually it is only 6 to 8 months.  I got over my 4 year episode with ECT.  Now I get a maintenance ECT every 4 weeks and I haven't been depressed for 2 years.  My longest stretch.

I fully recovered from a 2-year long episode of severe depression last year. It was interspersed with random manias, but was otherwise constant. I attempted suicide once and went IP at one point. I credit amitriptyline with finally pulling me out of it.

I have "double depression" so dysthymia with severe major depressive episodes. It's really difficult for me to separate the two - I just know for months and months I can be at a 8-10, and for short periods in between I am more like a 4-5. (I'm going on a scale of 1 being ecstatic and 10 being semi-comatose). I've never been not depressed. Well, scratch that. I don't remember a considerable period of time when I was not depressed - but that could just have been swallowed up by my memories of recurrent/chronic depression. My major depressive episodes are cyclical/seasonal, at least somewhat. It's pretty much a given that in winter I'll be struggling the most.

the hardest episode i had was about 6 or 7 months long, like i was completely unable to function, didn't leave the house, spent day and night ruminating thoughts in my room, all day in my pj's, waking up at 2 pm and going back to sleep at 10 pm, SI'ing badly... before that, i had a pattern of 3 out of 4 weeks in a month depressed, so, most of the time, but i was able to function, like in studying, going to school, going out, etc...

i've been in remission for about 4 years, only with depressive days or even moments, but they go away and everything goes back to normal soon...

the depression appeared for the first time when i was about 16 or 17 and went in remission when i was 23 or 24...

Hmm.... about 8 months.   That said, for many years with my dx I got seasonal depression like freaking CLOCKWORK.  Halloween would roll around, sx would begin, and I'd be hanging on by my teeth for 6 mo.   Working suicidal for 6 mo out of the year is just no fun.

After a while it DRAINED me. I dreaded winter so bad.........  And now, I'm on lithium and have not had an episode in over a year and a half.  Jesus, my first Christmas I CRIED a lot because I DIDN'T feel like shit, could enjoy the holiday, and was SO HAPPY.   Faking happy just sucks ass. 

I can't imagine a depression 2 years or longer.   To those of you that have done that, I salute you.   For you know, being around. 

Anna

the episode i'm currently in has lasted about a year.  sort of.  went IP for a month last June in a mixed state, left feeling depressed but better than i went in, and i haven't got better since.  actually it's worse now.  but this is my worst time of year.

it doesn't always last this long, lifequake.   it does get better, that's just really hard to remember sometimes.  depression lies and tells you there has been no joy or wellness, EVER.  but there was before, and there will be again.

Thank you for your replies.  In a weird way, it helps to hear of long episodes that eventually come to an end.  It defies the depressive "logic" of thinking that the current state of things is permanent.  I'm really amazed by your strength in sticking through such long episodes.