CrazyBoards.org

Seeing new pdoc, how should I explain switching

After a lot of research, I was finally able to find a new pdoc in my area that is taking new pts. After a 5wk wait, I finally get to see him this week, and I'm a bit nervous about it.

There aren't many pdocs in my area, so most either know each other or they know each other's reputation. I expect the new pdoc to ask me why I'm switching and who the pdoc is. I don't want to sound like I'm bashing my current pdoc, but I have multiple reasons for switching.

Should I just mention my key reason for switching (I feel like my pdoc isn't listening to me), or should I outline all of my reasons? Should I just waive off any questioning and try to start with a clean slate (other than my personal history)? The last time I switched was due to scheduling issues, so I had no personal reasons to explain my switching.

I really don't want to start off on the wrong foot; I have few options if this doesn't work out. Any advice?

You're not under any obligation to justify the switch. There are countless reasons for switching pdocs: When/if the topic comes up, you certainly have the option to be honest in whatever degree you feel comfortable with; you also have the honest to politely say that you simply needed a fresh start with a new doc. No harm done.

Glad you've found a new pdoc. ♥

i recently had to do this with my regular family doctor.  mine was an arrogant idiot who blamed every physical problem on my being crazy.

i requested a new doctor from the same clinic, and worried that the new doc would ask all kinds of questions about why i wanted to switch.  he asked once, said i did not need to answer if i didn't want to, he was just curious.  i said that i did not feel my treatment was being fully addressed, and i would like to try a new approach.  he was totally fine with that (and actually seemed to respect that i was taking control of my own health care).

i think it's okay, too, to be honest and say you're worried that if you complain too much about your pdoc, you'll get started on the wrong foot, and you'd really like for this relationship to work out/be productive.  i know that's probably really hard to say to a complete stranger though.

either way, if the question comes up or not, i hope your new pdoc is great!

I hope you like your new pdoc.   Most providers understand that switches happen. I always tell my clients right upfront that if they feel like a switch would be good, to just let me know, no hard feelings, and I'll pass along tx information to the new provider at my center.  I'm also like, "If you ever have a problem tell me first if you can, because I'm working for you, and I want to know how to get better if needed, but if you cannot, but here is the complaint line, too."

I think doing that sets up a good dynamic of "you have freedom of choice and you have rights" which I strongly believe in....   I also ask a clt if they feel they can work with me after the first session, etc.

There should be (in my opinion) no issues about switching, but if it does come up a nice neutral response like "We were not a good fit" is always a good one.  Blames no one, doesn't give new pdoc any ideas about "troublesomeness" etc.

Anna

Thanks for the feedback everyone, much appreciated. I'm not going to bring it up, and if it does come up, I'm going with the general "not a good fit/not meeting my needs" response. I'll post tomorrow after the appointment, maybe for more feedback. My current situation leads me to believe I may not be good at judging a pdoc, lol.

So an update on my visit today:

Turns out my new pdoc is awesome. He did ask who made my initial BPII diagnosis and why I stopped seeing him, and I answered truthfully (original pdoc only saw pts for <6h week, impossible to see him). Didn't ask about my most recent pdoc, which was nice.

He actually took my jaw pain issue seriously and wants to find a way to stop it and get me back on Latuda, which was an awesome drug for me, plus control my anxiety. That was *exactly* what I was hoping for, and I never said anything about it, I just went through my history.

He d/c'd everything except my Lamictal, cut it to 300, started Latuda back and added 1mg klonopin 2x day for anxiety and jaw pain, which he thinks is dystonia.

New pdoc = win, and no questions about switching :)