CrazyBoards.org

Anxiety in bipolar?

When I am (hypo)manic I act as though I'm anxious (in addition to the other (hypo(manic symptoms). I can't sit still, I pace rooms ect. Even when I talk to people I do things that are symptomatic with anxiety like tapping my foot. biting my nails.....I feel as though if i stop moving I'm gonna burst open. I usually do not feel anxious though. My question is.....can one experience anxiety-like symptoms while (hypo)manic?

Edited by LMNOP

I may be misinterpreting your post, but what I'm reading sounds more like restlessness than anxiety--in which case, yes, I believe restlessness is an established symptom of hypo-/mania. I find when I'm hypo-/manic, I can't sit still and have to be doing something constantly. That sounds kind of like what you're experiencing.

I do experience anxiety while depressed, but I'm more inclined to define that sort of anxiety as being fear-based and not the sort you're talking about. Do correct me if I'm wrong. :)

I may be misinterpreting your post, but what I'm reading sounds more like restlessness than anxiety--in which case, yes, I believe restlessness is an established symptom of hypo-/mania. I find when I'm hypo-/manic, I can't sit still and have to be doing something constantly. That sounds kind of like what you're experiencing.

I do experience anxiety while depressed, but I'm more inclined to define that sort of anxiety as being fear-based and not the sort you're talking about. Do correct me if I'm wrong. :)

That. I get very restless and can't sit still. That and when I get anxious it sets off hypomania.

I have really bad anxiety when not hypomanic. When I am hypo, I'm just like what your described, very restless and can't stop moving in one way or another, very revved up. It's ANNOYING, I know that, but I know that I personally don't feel anxious either. It was easy for me to tell the difference because I have anxiety regularly and know that the hypo thing is rather different from that feeling. The only time I get anxious is if I can actually figure out that I am indeed acting strange and know I can't help it, but there are all these people around who might notice. . .

I pace when I'm hypo and mixed, I literally can't stop moving.  This does sound more like restlessness and surfeit of energy, (I often clean to burn it off.....) which is not uncommon.

I am ALSO often anxious when not euthymic, but that is a seperate thing.

Anna

According to Dr. Jim Phelps in Why Am I Still Depressed?, anxiety of the "racing thoughts" variety can be indicative of mixed or hypomanic states in patients who are predominantly depressed. He is of the opinion that treatment-resistant MDD that has intervening periods of increased anxiety is an under-diagnosed form of BPII.

My hypomania looks a lot like anxiety too. You know the feeling of butterflies in your stomach when you're anxious/excited? I have that feeling while hypomanic. Or, you know when you're REALLY anticipating doing something, and it's driving you crazy with suspense? That's also how I feel when hypomanic. Like, I'm constantly on edge and excitable. 

According to Dr. Jim Phelps in Why Am I Still Depressed?, anxiety of the "racing thoughts" variety can be indicative of mixed or hypomanic states in patients who are predominantly depressed. He is of the opinion that treatment-resistant MDD that has intervening periods of increased anxiety is an under-diagnosed form of BPII.

My diagnosis is actually BP l, but my pdoc decided that a lot of the symptoms I was describing late last summer sounded like racing thoughts-type anxiety, so she put me on a low dose of an SSRI (high doses or even conventional doses make me nuts), and it's helped a lot. I used to just take Seroquel for the racing thoughts, but it stopped working without the escitalopram to augment it.

When I feel anxious I always feel like I'm in a mixed state. 

Exactly, but it is more like agitation than anxiety for me.  It can be hard to discern if you have an anxiety disorder as well. I had a week recently where the moods were fine - normal, but my anxiety was high, high! For me that is when I knew it was the anxiety disorder and not the BP

Gah, I am so anxious right now. I'm in a mixed state or something. I keep waking up with my heart pounding. But I also have GAD, so I don't know, it could be that, but it feels like it is "attached" to my mood. Now my heart is pounding right this second. Ugh.