CrazyBoards.org

Weird Lamictal side effects....being fidget-y and OCD-type symptoms, nervousness

I feel a lot better on lamictal than the other medications I've taken (zyprexa, abilify, lithium) and I'm currently taking 200 mg lamictal and tapering off lithium (half the dose I started with right now). I feel super fidgety, I feel like I have to tap things for no reason, pull on the sleeve of my shirt until it feels "right", in my school stuff I go over the same letters like 5 times until it feels ok....I have been trying to keep my house looking immaculate and always making sure my hands are clean and don't smell bad....and usually I try to get A's or B's in my classes but right now I have been studying obsessively and I feel like I need to get 100 percent on my next exams or I will die or something....I'm freaking out that I might make some small mistake or miss one tiny thing in my notes. I am studying way more than I need to to just get an A but I feel like I NEED to get 100 percent. I am not apathetic and depressed anymore but I feel very nervous and overwhelmed with life (even though I am just a part-time student in community college & I'm not working) 

I'm mostly obsessing over school and nothing else really ..... well also cleanliness....

I don't think I am setting any wildly optimistic goals like when I was manic, like I though I'm going to wind up a billionaire or something..... and I don't think I have a wildly inflated self-esteem ... 

I found this and I'm hoping this is what's happening rather than something more serious:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18719043

Has anyone else had this problem? 

Edited by peanut_butter

How long have you been on Lamictal?  It can cause a fair bit of anxiety/agitation while you're getting used to it.  I was pretty irritable and messed up when I started taking it and usually when I change the dose, I'm messed up for a while too.

How long have you been on Lamictal?  It can cause a fair bit of anxiety/agitation while you're getting used to it.  I was pretty irritable and messed up when I started taking it and usually when I change the dose, I'm messed up for a while too.

I've been on it for 10 weeks, I've been on 200 mg for 3 weeks ... I don't really feel irritable

Edited by peanut_butter

• 1 month later...

I know its a few weeks late but if you are still  curious - 

I preferred the feeling of the 100mg Lamictal than any other dose.   I felt similar to what you're describing on 150 and 200mg. I didn't want to start feeling the same way I did before being on it, so I opted to stay at 100mg rather than titrating up any more. It seems to be working good for me other than my sadness (depression) decided to take a peak out the hole, so now prozac is part of my cocktail as well. 

i've taken lamotrigine for years, and and i'm pretty sure that when i have those sorts of symptoms it isn't the med (because the dose stayed the same, whereas my thoughts/behaviours have come and gone).  for me it's usually a hypomanic thing (even without the usual markers you indicated).  my hypomanic episodes are rarely pleasurable, though.

i've noticed lately that an increase in lithium has put a damper on some of my need to do those things.  maybe tapering your lithium is unmasking symptoms you weren't aware of before?  just a thought, of course you pdoc will have a far better idea than i would about what's happening.

for what it's worth, you can keep taking the lithium even with the lamotrigine.  i take both and they seem to work better in concert than alone (for me).