CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
daisy131864

NAC for bipolar?

so my pdoc just came back from a psychopharmocologic conference all jazzed up about NAC- i don't know off of the top of my head what it stands for (something cysteine...). it's some sort of natural supplement that is supposed to help with OCD and bipolar and anxiety and depression and green warts or some crap like that. she wants me to start taking it with my other meds to see if it helps with anything, since, you know, that's how we roll in psychiatry.

anyone here ever heard of NAC or been on it? i tried doing a google search and came up with some promising RESEARCH articles, but i want real life proof this crap will do something before i go and buy another pill. thanks!

Anna, moderator here, takes NAC and swears by it. If she doesn't ring in here, PM her your questions. She'll be receptive.

I took it for a few months to try it. I didn't notice any difference (I have MDD, but I don't do super well with antidepressants).

My problem with it was 1) it was expensive and 2) it's sold in small doses so I had to take like 4 big pills a day. It ended up being cheaper and less annoying for me to stick with pharmaceuticals.

Dr. Phelps has a very reputable and detailed page about it here that you may be interested in.

http://psycheducation.org/depression/meds/n-acetylcysteine.htm

I've just started taking it, so it's probably too early for me to weigh in. My sister is convinced it all but cured her of her Trichotillomania so I'm holding out hope that it's a positive addition to my cocktail.

A research team where I live is actually calling for participants for a study on NAC (N-acetyl-cysteine?) in bipolar depression right now. My mum wants me to look into it, but I'm not so sure. I might mention it to my pdoc when I see her next. I don't really want to take more pills.

I've been taking it for some time. I had the same experience as you with my psychiatrist. I would say it helps in subtle fashion. It's no miracle supplement but I sincerely believe it is helping somewhat with my depression. 

It was recommended to me by someone very accomplished, but I never got around to taking it (got careless, as I was not depressed).  He did say that it can take three or four months to start working.