CrazyBoards.org

war(?) on drugs

• 3 weeks later...

For the life of me I cannot figure out why marijuana is still illegal in the US. There's never been a reported case of death  attributed to marijuana while there've been tons of cases attributed to both cigarettes and alcohol.like the prohibition on alcohol the war on drugs is a resounding failure. billions upon billions of dollars are funneled into this war with no end in sight.A hefty chunk of the marijuana supply the United States comes from Mexico. The cartels practically run the place with the police and military vastly overwhelmed. Because marijuana is illegal is a lot of money to be made from selling or transferring it to the US. If America had its own homegrown product and it would be a major blow to the cartels. They would suddenly lose their huge cash crop and be forced to resort other moneymaking activities.

For the life of me I cannot figure out why marijuana is still illegal in the US. There's never been a reported case of death  attributed to marijuana while there've been tons of cases attributed to both cigarettes and alcohol.like the prohibition on alcohol the war on drugs is a resounding failure. billions upon billions of dollars are funneled into this war with no end in sight.A hefty chunk of the marijuana supply the United States comes from Mexico. The cartels practically run the place with the police and military vastly overwhelmed. Because marijuana is illegal is a lot of money to be made from selling or transferring it to the US. If America had its own homegrown product and it would be a major blow to the cartels. They would suddenly lose their huge cash crop and be forced to resort other moneymaking activities.

Marijuana is legal in some states in the US.

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000881

Edited by melissaw72

"Legal" is some states, yes.  According to state law. For "medical" reasons.  Federally, it's still illegal, and it you can still be busted by the DEA (see recent raids in San Francisco & LA dispensaries and the college).  Part of that, I think, is because the US decided to sign an international treaty saying drugs are bad, m'kay, and here's what we all can and can't do with them.  A lot of that has formed our national drug policy.