CrazyBoards.org

Can I safely take these allergy pills with my meds?

I am on abilify, lamictal, and lexapro. I just realized yesterday the cause of my sinus pressure runny and stuffy nose and occasional sneezing could be allergies. So my mom has given me an allergy pill to find out-it contains the following... acetaminophen, chlorpheniramine, and phenylephrine. Can I take it with my meds? Has anyone here had trouble? Has anyone taken them and are fine?

I am know acetaminophen is fine. But what about the other 2?

I'm obviously NOT a pharmacist, but from what I've dealt with personally, it would make for one hell of a nasty side effect stew since they can all run with scissors a little around your other meds and make the side effects worse.  I tend to err on the side of caution and avoid anything I'm unsure about until I've gotten enough information and talked to a pharmacist about the interactions and potential bonus side effects.

I would STRONGLY recommend calling your pharmacist, because they'd deal with that kind of question all of the time and have the education to give you far better info.  Most of the ones around here are nice enough that even if you don't get your Rx filled there, they'll still steer you in the right direction and suggest alternatives if the stuff you have doesn't play nicely with your meds.  

http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html being one of those on-line checkers.

That allergy med is pretty old-school. Chlorpheniramine is an older, sedating anti-histamine. Phenylephrine is a decongestant, used as a replacement for pseduoepedrine. 

Worth a chat with your pharmacist or doctor - they could recommend a replacement, single drug allergy treatment - such as the more modern non-sedating antihistamines (e.g., Clartin, Allegra).