CrazyBoards.org

I've read several posts about CBT and researched it to some extent, but I was wondering if anyone can give me more info.

From what I've learned, I'm doubtful this is a good strategy for me. If I have it correct, it focuses on your thoughts and reactions to things, which can lead to a toxic pattern of thinking, which then becomes internalized, and leads to negative and incorrect believes about yourself and who you "are." With some exceptions, I don't feel like this fits me. I'm pretty logical and pragmatic, and though I might have initial negative reactions to things, I usually quickly dismiss them and I don't think it gets to point of affecting my self-esteem or self-image. I DO tend to ruminate on things a lot; mostly my depression itself and how I handle it. I don't know if CBT deals with simply negative thinking. 

An example might be my parenting... I have a 15-month old daughter, my first, and as is so common with first time moms, I worry a lot about doing the "right" things for her. She watches way too much TV... I know that's a bad thing for her, and my doctor said to cut it out completely. I think about that a lot and feel tremendous guilt at times... I may "start" to internalize it by thinking "I'm a bad mom", but I quickly talk myself out of that and believe I'm not a bad mom... Lots of moms struggle, and no one is perfect. I'm not sabotaging my daughter. Logically, I KNOW that... but I still get feelings of guilt and frustration when I'm tired and let her watch TV. So I might ruminate/worry about my actions, and I'd certainly like to improve them, but I don't think they truly affect how I feel about myself.

I have lots of stresses, and I focus on them more than I should. I've had a lot of setbacks in life, that definitely effect me. But I don't feel like they lower my self-image... almost the opposite; I was fired from several jobs, which I truly believe was not my fault. For example, one situation involved a personality conflict with my boss, and I don't think his reasons for firing me were justified. He even listed things in my file that were flat out false. Another involved a situation of unethical behavior and flat-out nepotism. Basically, I feel like I got screwed. And because it happened several times, it ruined my career... who would hire someone who's been fired that often? Any rational employer would naturally assume it was something about me, and be unlikely believe "excuses" about it not being my fault. It leads to a lot of feelings like "Why does all this happen to me?" and I'm sure I'm not totally innocent, but the point is, I feel tremendous confidence in my abilities... I just feel like nobody recognizes it.

Sorry to make this so long... but just curious if CBT only focuses on how negative thinking patterns change your self-image, or if it also addresses simply negative experiences and feelings?

I DO tend to ruminate on things a lot; mostly my depression itself and how I handle it. I don't know if CBT deals with simply negative thinking.

Rumination is a maladaptive coping strategy that can be addressed through CBT.  I would suggest taking a look at http://www.bupa.co.uk/individuals/health-information/directory/c/cbt-cognitive-behavioural-therapy.  CBT is also useful in helping you learn how to deal with stressful situations.

One of the things CBT teaches is how to identify (and then deal with therapeutically) automatic thoughts. I didn't even realize and couldn't see I HAD automatic thoughts, until I did CBT. CBT helped me.

I have to admit, I am much better at recognizing automatic thoughts since I took the CBT class, even though I sulked my way through it. I am a huge skeptic of therapy in general. But this is goal oriented therapy, so there is a discreet ending to the course of therapy; I can handle that.