CrazyBoards.org

anyone taking lithium who has schizophrenia without an affective disorder?

so as if i'm not on enough medicatino my psychiatrist wants me to start taking lithium now. which i's flipping out about because thinking eh's saying i now have an affective disorder in addition, but he clarified today that that's not the scene and it's to increase efficacy of the antipsychotics and so forth, among other things.  well, which are basically that since i've fininshed ECT and am home i'm often either asleep or relatively freaked out that i have no memory and i have to realearn everything that's happened over the past six months pretty much daily and blah blah blah.  the ECT was a reset button plan after i'd gone through so many antipsychotics and rendered a lot inefective and then clozaril was a bitch with side effects, etc.  he also is in favor because studies show it reduces suicidality (as does clozaril), which....i'm not even getting into how peeved i am about that.

anyway, has anyone had a simlar experience and found it worthwhile to add another capsule or two to the mix daily?

cheers

I don't have SZA but can add a couple things. One is that Lithium is used to augment antidepressants all the time. That they may be finding it can augment APs, too, doesn't shock me, for what that's worth. Second, even low level amounts of naturally occurring Lithium found in the local water supply are found to reduce suicides in the population at large. That study has been replicated many times across the country if not the world. I'd say give it a shot. Your pdoc may be on to something. Just stay hydrated. Good luck.

Edited by AnneMarie

cheers for reply.  that's ok with not having schizoaffective...i dont either ;-) i just have the first half of that.

with the water thing...here's my follow up queistion 9though i'm sure my psychiatrist will have some thoughts)

a lot of timew when i'm in the hospital i get put on water restriction.  i mean, i can go through some watyer and there's a condition...i forget the name now...but schizophrenics are prone to it and it basically amounts to drinking way too much water.  and *I* particcularly have had thhis ...well...i don't *think* i've had the condition...but i've been put on water restyriction to avoid getting it.

i guess wht i'm saying is i'm prone to overindulgence with teh water and so now i'm like...to drink or not to drink the fukc outta it, you know? i would like to think i  coudl regulate such a thing and maybe it's only when i'm florid tht i'm like that...but i don't really konw...?

You may need to count glasses a day to regulate taking in a safe amount of water but not overdoing it. When you are florid, are you IP usually? If so, the staff will know how much to restrict you given Lithium rx. If not, over consumption should not cause more problems because of the Li rx.

Edited by AnneMarie

• 3 weeks later...