CrazyBoards.org

I read "HARSH TRUTHS" on Cracked.com and it made feel suicidal

I think it has some validity as far as the workplace. They do care about your skills. But getting along with others is important, too. I don't work and I felt like I lost my identity when I first didn't have a job. There are people who look down on that, but not everyone. I don't think it says anything important enough to pass on.

I'm sorry to hear it bothered you so much. You are learning and are planning on working. In my little world people accept me for who I am. The world didn't change because he says it is different. And t's pretty shallow for someone to just want someone for their services and not who they are.

Cracked exists to get readers. It isn't a source of ultimate truth about the world. The articles alongside that one include:

"Why shopping in a video game universe sucks"

"5 ridiculous first drafts of famous logos"

I'm sorry the article triggered some thoughts that you're buying into, and I hope others can come along and discuss those. 

The article focusses on young adult males because that's Cracked's general audience.  I honestly don't understand why it feeds into making you upset.  Could you explain a little more what upsets you about it?  Or maybe what your thoughts are otherwise, that the article seems to reinforce?

Yeah, Cracked's audience tends to be the younger adult male population (SYS just posted that as I was typing it).  Basically, their writers are contracted to publish these kinds of articles that are supposed to make you think "oh wow, I never thought of it like that', but that doesn't make it true​.  It's meant to be entertainment, not therapeutic in any way.   

They are selling a product, people who want to make a big loud point suck that product up and spew it at all of their friends. It's overly negative, one sided, arrogant, ignorant and just generally hateful.

Fuck that noise, you rock.

The truth is that if it shocks some other arrogant assholes into thinking about what they do a tenth as hard as you already do.. it could be a good thing, but that is what it is, shock factor, you are not relevant to any possible goodwill that that article 'might have' intended.

Edited by Eden

I remember seeing that article around the first of the year and thinking that it really only applied to a very particular subset of people who are involved in a very particular kind of life, namely young white (males) with some socioeconomic privilege seeking to "make it" in the world of capitalism.

It reflects a particular type of values, some of which I share and some of which I definitely do not share.

The article, and the culture it represents tend to be very deeply cynical.

I find that I can easily succumb to "the dark side" of this kind of cynicism and that its not healthy for me, so I choose not to consume it regularly.

I think you are right to see that the article views the world through a "filter". And that viewing the world through this particular filter is only one of many available options.

Me, I prefer to believe other things about the world in which I live... particularly that people have worth and value outside of the commodification of their drives.

That is to say, and I quote from Robert Fulghum quoting someone else:

'There is really nothing you must be. 
And there is nothing you must do.
There is really nothing you must have.
And there is nothing you must know.
There is really nothing you must become.
However. It helps to understand 
that fire burns, and when it rains, 
the earth gets wet. . . .'

No_Name, others have already made what I believe are fair, accurate, and eloquent observations about the audience of Cracked and, within that context, the intended purpose of the article, so I'm going to skip that as it's been well covered.

I'm an avid (as in, read-it-every-day-in-love-with-Dan-O'Brien) reader of Cracked and I rely on it to be a source of Internet humor that doesn't make me want to rip my hair out within three minutes of surfing the site. It's not perfect by any means, but I think the good stuff outweighs the bad stuff. That said, when I read the particular article you linked to for the first time in December, I was already depressed and was triggered very badly by the message of the text which, essentially, is this: If you can't produce anything of perceived value, then you are functionally worthless.

That line of thinking is the sort of thing that drives me straight from depression into suicidal ideation. I'm sure I'm not the only person here at CB who, when depressed, struggles with feeling worthy and precious in spite of not being able to accomplish much, if anything, during a depressive episode. To have negative, I-can't-do-this-therefore-I'm-worthless thinking reinforced by a comedy website only served to validate every negative thought I was having about myself as well as tossing in some "Your misery is hilarious!" for good measure.

Now that it's been a while, I'm able to take a step back and realize that the contents of that article have nothing to do with me or my life circumstances, but hindsight doesn't really help when you're casually strolling through a low-brow humor website and get triggered out of the blue. It's hard (if not impossible, sometimes) to think rationally about stuff like this when you're overwhelmed with triggered emotion.

Before I end my novella, I want to add that in your title you mention the article made you feel suicidal. Are you okay now? Please don't hesitate to call your doctor or a crisis line if you need to. Take care of yourself. ♥

That web site is just pure BS.   That is just garbage.

How can you take seriously an article on a junk web site that uses the word MOTHERF***ER twice

in the first two sentences?

Don't read that junk!  Go to the NYTimes web site, or CNN.  

If you want political humor there is  The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and http://www.billmaher.com/

Edited by bpladybug

If you mentally flip that article the other way, it reads as a fairly good criticism of how harmful some of society's attitudes toward individuals are while condemning the 20-something male demographic the article is aimed toward. I doubt that's what the writer intended, though.

I think this article could be valuable to some not-too-depressed young people who hold a slightly narcissistic mindset (it wouldn't really do anything to real narcissists). For this audience, it would be good to realize that the world does not revolve around them, and that they should strive to improve themselves.

It's like that "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country (or for your whatever)" speech. Except that the article's emphasis on the job seems a bit excessive (although I guess that's what many recent college grads--the audience--are looking for nowadays).