CrazyBoards.org

Welbutrin and Bipolar

My pdoc has asked me for factual (as in peer-reviewed, reputable studies) evidence that Welbutrin actually does have the least chance of inducing mania in the bipolar population.

Sorry for the slangospeak!

Anyways, I have failed to find even a single such study.

I am horribly depressed and doing very badly indeed on a mood stabilizer alone, and this very nice jerk refuses to do anything to alleviate it. Save a lengthy and complicated change of pdocs, this is my last option to try and sway him.

Help!

(this has been crossposted...if the mods mind, well just remove)

Ah, if it were only that simple!

Actually, I do want a nice script-writer that will follow my instructions which I base not on whims, but on research and my own knowledge of my symptoms and which ones I need help with the most (the depression, cause I am within an inch of inpatient/dead) and which side effects I would most likely get or be willing and able to tolerate.

But, Mr Pdoc has his own opinions, among them the belief that Lamictal has been proven NOT to help with bipolar (WTF??? I have tons of reseach to contradict that nonsense).

So after months of prescribing benzos for anxiety/mixed states which sink me lower and lower into the ocean of despaie every consecutive week, he has now, with the full knowledge that a major cause of my anxiety is my inability to complete schoolwork, refused to give my anything but Zyprexa, a med that even at 2.5 mg has me dozin' classes away! and I also binge, which this likely won't help

So, I am trying to switch from my Tegretol (no serious side effects, yes, but zero mood stabilization and I feel dumb and tired on it) to lamictal which is more of an antidepressant, or as a second option add welbutrin for the depression, at his discretion...

He is generally a good pdoc. though. Just old fashioned.

There are no such studies and there are so many different flavors of bipolar that if there were  there would be no way of knowing if they applied to you.

It's a process of elimination.

If you've tried a couple of the meds that do serotonin reuptake inhibition and gone batshit, that probably rules out the SSRIs and MRIs.  What's left?  Not a lot.  Provigil. Strattera, Wellbutrin and the CNS stims.  Lamictl has some AD action so it's worth a shot if you haven't tried it yet.

FWIW, Wellbutrin got me out of a tricky spot awhile ago, but then I began cycling more rapidly as well as having mixed episodes. I'm not a chemist or a doctor or anyone who would be able to say for sure, but I do think (as does my pdoc) that the Wellbutrin was responsible.

Archived