CrazyBoards.org

I'm on 117 MG Invega Sustenna for Bipolar Disorder I, I was hospitalized for 5 months (mostly because of lack of housing), but I'm worried about developing Tardive Dyskinesia and gynecomastia (breast growth in males), which can be caused by Invega. I also have a co-diagnosis of ADD/ADHD (the only diagnosis I agree on). I'm a 21 year old male and 6'4, I would like to go down on the Invega and really just get off it completely, I wasn't psychotic before taking it I was just very angry and ended up breaking furniture at my mother's house), I don't suffer from delusions, or hallucinate, and contrary to what my doctors say I've never experienced mania. The next lowest dose is 78MG which I want to ask my psychiatrist to go on instead. 

What do you think should I stay on Invega? I don't need it, I am not a naturally agressive person that was just a bad day.

I'm also on Adderall 10MG twice a day.

I just really don't like the notion of being on an antipsychotic when I'm not psychotic nor do I have unusual mood issues. How long should I stay on it before bringing it up with my psychiatrist, my next shot is the 15th of April and I'm dreading it. 

I just really don't like the notion of being on an antipsychotic when I'm not psychotic nor do I have unusual mood issues. How long should I stay on it before bringing it up with my psychiatrist, my next shot is the 15th of April and I'm dreading it. 

I've never been on Invega but I have one thing to say/clarify...

I do know it's classed as an atypical antipsychotic; a lot of the time the name "antipsychotic" in these days has nothing to do with what's being treated by the "antipsychotic"... aka you don't have to experience symptoms of psychosis to be on one. Not at all. I wouldn't read into the name too literally or let it affect you so much.

Do you have any sort of predisposition to developing tardive dyskinesia/gynecomastia or are you showing symptoms? Apologies for saying this if you are, but a lot of the time the companies have to put these risks out just to cover their asses.

You need to discuss this with your psychiatrist.  I find it curious that you were kept IP for 5 months

because you had "just a bad day".  Neither health insurance nor Medicare/Medicaid want to pay

for inpatient.  There must be a legitimate reason for a hospital stay.

There are suicidal people showing up at ER's and they cannot get an IP bed.

There must be a lot more to this situation.  I would work closely

with your therapist, care team, to gain more insight into your condition and your behavior.

Edited by bpladybug

I'm in NJ, they CANNOT  release you homeless so they can keep you until you have a suitable place to stay or they find you one ( I did get a subsidized apartment) it was a state hospital, almost everyone at the hospital is on a special type of Medicaid. I was uncommitted after 15 days but due to lack of housing I couldn't leave and getting an apartment took months. 

That bad day was me being attacked by my brother and after the fight I ended up pushing over an armoire and broken glass and such was everywhere. I didn't mean to push it over, I just was upset.

By the way is IP inpatient? 

Edited by Forbidden91

Yes IP is that. Also well I think your looking at the woe of being on Invega and not seeing what the doc's see. I can't tell you to move down but, I was on Invega and out of all the AP's anti-psych's I have been on it was the best one with not very many side effects......Now I do believe you about the IP....I have see it happen to ppl.....I know insurance doesn't want to pay 5000 $ a night for you but it's like getting ringed into the system...Now Just talk to your doc about this...We here can't give you any advice on what you should do.

If you could be depended on to take your meds as directed and not need the Sustenna injection, you'd go a long way towards proving your own competence.  They don't give out the injections lightly.   If you're getting one, there's most likely a good reason.

If you could be depended on to take your meds as directed and not need the Sustenna injection, you'd go a long way towards proving your own competence.  They don't give out the injections lightly.   If you're getting one, there's most likely a good reason.

Also, I've been on risperdal, the parent drug of invega, for years and never had a single side effect.  The side effects like you are worried about happen to a fraction of a percent of people.

no, not a punishment

they just want to make sure you are medicated

if you willing took your meds every day they would not normally use an injectable

I still think you need to work carefully w a therapist to understand your illness

I've read hundreds of sites on Bipolar Disorder and have seen multiple documentaries. Would my psychiatrist be suspicious if I asked to switch to oral medication? 

If you've been resistant or non-compliant in the past your pdoc may be concerned that you won't take an oral medication. Isn't that why you are on an injectable?

Injectible meds are about assurance of compliance, though some folks actually request them for the sake of simplicity.  I just learned today that Invega may soon be available as a quarterly injection instead of monthly.  There is a new study ramping up testing for safety and efficacy (Invega one-month vs Invega three-month).  Probably of no interest to the OP.  Just throwing out some new info.....

I believe I was given injectables due to my lack of compliance...Thimkl that definitely is news, and thank you for keeping me updated. I just want the option to stop taking it, with an injectable you don't have the option to even wean off due to the constant dosage being released into your bloodstream.

I don't know, my old psych nurse always pushed the Sustenna on me even though I've always been 100% compliant with the pills. I never did figure out her motive for that. Maybe she suspected I wasn't compliant because I was still having major symptoms at that time, but I don't know.

If you don't have a schizophrenic disorder or mood disorder, I don't understand why you're on Invega, honestly. But definitely discuss it with your doctor.

due to the constant dosage being released into your bloodstream.

Ah, that's a good thing. The whole idea of taking meds is to be consistent and not one step away from stopping. I chalk up my success to consistency in taking meds, staying on meds, and giving meds time to work.

The thing is do I truly need the medication. An atypical antipsychotic is no laughing matter, reserved for psychosis, mood disorder, thought disorders, and along with it a myriad of side effects. I've had typical moods, but I will say I've always had a sunny disposition, and to make matters worse, I wasn't diagnosed with milder variation of Bipolar Disorder II yet Bipolar Disorder I. And reading the symptoms many people would fit the criteria, and even when answering the questions the psychiatrist asks with truthful responses that don't meet the criteria, I get the diagnosis. I have had times where took stimulants (Bodybuilding, and Weight Loss Stimulants) and exhibited aggression, but I remember reading symptoms caused by drugs should not be recorded or understood in the same way. However I failed to tell the psychiatrist I was taking these supplements, for fear of them blowing it out of proportion. I've read tons of literature, on Schizophrenia, Schizoaffective, and Bipolar Disorder, and none relate to me. In the crisis unit I did purposely isolate myself and refuse to go to groups, and at first was hesitant to comply with medication for fear of accepting my diagnosis for Bipolar Disorder, by doing so, but this backfired and caused them to believe something was wrong with me even more. I may have experienced drug induced hypomania but anyone would on heavy usage on stimulants, more of a high that doesn't last.

The medication I'm on Invega takes away a good amount of motivation, and energy, which I had before being put on it.

Edited by Forbidden91

Do you have a question or are you mainly venting?  We can't tell if you need the medication. 

I can tell you are frustrated with the situation and I'm not trying to brush you off, just wondering what you are looking for.

Edited by confused

I guess I was looking for someone to reassure my beliefs and I also used this as an opportunity to vent.

As a 21 year old male and 6'4 before antipsychotics I would lose weight so quickly. If I tried I could lose more than 8 pounds a week, and that was eating moderately.  

Edited by Forbidden91

• 7 months later...

I have also been put on Invega Sustenna for 10 months since last year. It gave me severe anhedonia and rendered me an emotionless zombie that cannot function. I no longer have the ability to experience pleasure, joy, happiness, etc. and I have no motivation or willpower to do anything. I have lost my imagination and creativity, which is devastating for me since I am an artist. I have no sex drive and every day for the past year I have just been pacing around my apartment waiting for bed time.

I have finally requested to be off this med. I was surprised that my pdoc allowed me to be off it after 10 months since I was diagnosed with schizophrenia last year and have read that this type of patients usually have to be on this med for life. That very thought scares me so much. To have to live like this forever... Luckily my pdoc let me off it and the last injection was at the beginning of September. So I have been off the med for about a month and a half now but I haven't had any improvement at all. I still feel the same as I did when I was on the med. I am scared to death that this medication has ruined me for life and has caused permanent brain damage.

I can't enjoy cigarettes anymore.. They don't even get me lightheaded now. I also can't get drunk off alcohol too. I would just throw up instead if I drink too much. No euphoria at all.

Has anyone ever successfully came off this med and regained their old brain back? Am I doomed for life like this?