CrazyBoards.org

Feeling like you're being watched?

Would paranoia about being "watched" be something to do with bipolar? I often wake up in the middle of the night feeling like someone/something is watching me; sometimes through windows or in the same room as me. It can happen during the day too. It's not constant, but it happens a lot more often than I would like... Basically I think I'm just highly paranoid, and sometimes in the middle of the night when I wake up and I'm really tired I'm completely convinced that I'm being watched... if I'm in my room I have to turn on the light and briefly look around, of course never finding anything. But I still have that feeling that I get when someone really is looking at me.

I posted this in this subforum because I've noticed that it's mostly when I'm "up", usually somewhat hypomanic or something, but feel free to move it of course if it doesn't fit. I didn't know where I would post something about paranoia whenever I get hypomanic. I was just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences during an episode or something. 

I experience this kind of paranoia as well, mostly when I'm hypo-/manic. It's definitely a "someone is watching me right this very second" feeling, and I'll catch myself modifying my behavior as if there were someone in the room with me, even though I'm completely alone. Very unnerving. On a similar note, I have a tendency to become paranoid in public places and believe that people laughing, whispering, etc. are absolutely, 100% for sure saying nasty things about me and plotting petty meanness, even though they likely don't even register I'm there.

Oh, and there's the kind of paranoia where I'm certain people are looking inside my brain and can see my thoughts. I can have this kind of paranoia when I'm alone, but it's really awful if I'm in a room with other people; it seems like proximity to others triggers it and I'm convinced that the people nearest to me are getting better "reception," if you will.

My doc knows about all of this and it hasn't changed my diagnosis; he considers it a symptom of my bipolar disorder, not a separate diagnosis of its own, especially since it mainly seems to crop up during mania.

The concept of people/things watching and/or following me is rife when I am going into mania. I realise that for a lot of people it can be seen as symptoms of the likes of PTSD or G.A.D. but it is completely believable that it can be a symptom of BP, especially when you feel more alert or vigilant.

I feel like I am always paranoid being watched on some surveillance system somewhere that I can't see.  Never thought specifically what caused it though, other than I need a med adjustment.  I guess it seems to happen but not specifically when I am manic or not; it just happens.

I'm 17 and my mum is the one who usually deals with talking to my pdoc over the phone; she told her about the signs of hypomania and stuff a couple of days ago. I'd told my mum a bit about the paranoia/watching, but I didn't ask if she told pdoc when she called. Probably did. The doctor put me on Lamictal which I started yesterday; made me tired I think. I feel less thoughts racing/energetic today, but I don't think a medicine like that would work so quickly but I might be wrong. In my experience they haven't, but then again I've never been on a medicine like this one I don't think... 

I experience this kind of paranoia as well, mostly when I'm hypo-/manic. It's definitely a "someone is watching me right this very second" feeling, and I'll catch myself modifying my behavior as if there were someone in the room with me, even though I'm completely alone. Very unnerving. On a similar note, I have a tendency to become paranoid in public places and believe that people laughing, whispering, etc. are absolutely, 100% for sure saying nasty things about me and plotting petty meanness, even though they likely don't even register I'm there.

Oh, and there's the kind of paranoia where I'm certain people are looking inside my brain and can see my thoughts. I can have this kind of paranoia when I'm alone, but it's really awful if I'm in a room with other people; it seems like proximity to others triggers it and I'm convinced that the people nearest to me are getting better "reception," if you will.

My doc knows about all of this and it hasn't changed my diagnosis; he considers it a symptom of my bipolar disorder, not a separate diagnosis of its own, especially since it mainly seems to crop up during mania.

I experience every bit of this. When more on the manic side I become very defensive and irritable because every random giggle or chuckle, whisper, or look in my direction becomes personal. Also when I'm feeling that way I avoid eye contact because I feel that people can see what I'm thinking or feeling, or are sizing up my self-perceived inadequacies. So I get pissed off. I ascribe it to bipolar and anxiety, personally.

If I'm depressed though I don't give a damn, and probably give people reasons to talk about me -- old worn clothes, bad breath, crazy hair, standoffish demeanor... it's a strange thing.