CrazyBoards.org

On Birth Control For Acne, And...

..I have a question. The birth control came in this.. little.. like, pack-thingy with its own case and stuff. It was kind of silly. Anyway, in the pack there is 3 weeks of normal white pills, then a week of "green" placebo pills. Now I've been told this is more for people trying to prevent getting pregnant, as you take the green pills even though they don't do anything so that you can have your period for a week.

But how will that effect my acne? Will I break out for the week that I'm taking the green placebo sugar pills? Are there any other types of birth control where there are no green sugar pills, just constant medication (and yet still be able to have a period)?

I was hesitant to go on this stuff, because I was proud of the fact I am a lesbian and will never need birth control... didn't want it to mess up my hormones or do weird things to my body. Its just that I am going to be 34 this year, and I look like a teenage with this acne. It is embarassing. 

So I hope even though for a whole week the meds are inactive that it still helps my face. I am worried it won't.

I am male, so clearly I have never actually taken these, however I had a girlfriend who took them and did not break out during the week of placebos.

Just wanted to say, be careful with them, if they mess with your hormones they could be good or bad for you MI, just be aware of what is going on and treat it like a psych drug, as it could be relevant to your psych state.

Never mind your acne-hormonal birth control pills can really screw with your Lamictal levels and be very destabilizing. I tried the pill last year for what was assumed to be PMDD, and it ruined my life for a couple of months until I got the hormones out of my body and my LTG levels back where they needed to be.

Fellow gay-mo here, also been on BC several times for PCOS.

Generally, there is going to be a period where the hormone is inactive, allowing you to have a period. The reason hormonal BC prevents acne is because it regulates androgen production in the ovaries, and the lower testosterone level reduces your acne. Any hormonal BC will generally affect acne the same way. That said, you might consider methods that reduce the amount of time without the hormonal assistance by taking the hormone constantly for 3 months, and then having a period quarterly (as with Seasonale, can also be done with NuvaRing). Alternately, you could try the depo-provera shot BUT progesterone-only BC might not control your acne as well as one that has synthetic estrogen. Provera can also be a crazy-maker in some people, so, keep that in mind. 

I'm fairly sure the sugar pill thing is standard for most hormonal birth controls. The period when you take the sugar pills - you're not actually menstruating, your body is just reacting to the sudden reduction of hormones in your body. Doctor told me I don't have to take the sugar pills and can keep on taking the regular pills so I can have a "period" only 2-4 times a year. During the lapse I don't usually see a reappearance of acne - maybe one zit or something. Nothing too bad. But yeah, I know that if you have an MI it's definitely something to monitor.  :)

Edited by radicalfeminist

I just want to chime in and say that hormonal birth control made me really suicidal. It can definitely help with acne, but pay close attention to your moods. I thought I was doing fine and it snuck up on me.

^ THIS ... first time on BC I was extremely suicidal and it happened pretty much overnight.  So yeah, I'd definitely pay close attention to your moods.  I was recently (within the past year) put on one though with no mood-altering side effects.  Maybe it depends on the strength of the BC though, idk; the 2nd one I was on was a very low dose one.