CrazyBoards.org

Commitment to appointments

Since I started seeing docs and such for my MI issues, I've always had this problem of eventually stopping making appointments. I tend to miss a couple and then stop going altogether, fall off my meds, go nutso, then crawl back. Despite knowing this, I always tend to do it... and I'm not sure why. Sometimes it's because "I feel better." And I know the folly of that deep down, but the reasoning is good enough for me at the time.

Does anyone else have a problem with this? How do you work with it? Any practical advice for someone in these shoes? Listen, I know I need meds, I truly do, it isn't a matter of questioning that. I just... don't go sometimes, and I end up needing refills and having to start over on meds.

Ugh.

I used to struggle with that myself. That was back when the only choices were lithium and depakote. Neither were things I wanted to e on once iwas. Stable.

I tend to cancel and reschedule appts for longer intervals to save money. If I would run out of meds between...oh well.

Time has taught me I can't go without my meds and have any quality of life. That taught me to stick with appts and meds.nomore suicidal rages or finding myself throwing rocks at the windows of old boyfriends.

Thanks for replying. I appreciate it. :)

I know that I need meds for quality of life also, it's just that commitment is hard sometimes. Even when I know better. I hate it! But, I do it anyways. It's really backwards.

I'm glad you found your balance as far as all that's concerned.

I was like that with counseling. I always went when I felt bad and things were spiraling downwards, then I quit as soon as I started feeling better.

I've stopped medications without dr approval (yeah, I know, don't do it) and was reluctant to go back because of the hell they cause. I had a period of 3 months with no pdoc and no meds because of insurance coverage, and I went batshit crazy due to some personal issues dumped on top. It sucks that those are the situations that can push someone to get back on top of it. I've had a couple of breakdowns over the whole process because I was so frustrated over the lack of progress and how horrible I felt. I wanted to quit more than once.

But, yeah, I get the whole "I need the meds despite the fact I don't want them" I'm always staying hopeful that I will find something that works.

Basically, I go even when I don't want to because there is a $75 no-show fee.  Not a big deal to me, but since DH has gotten more involved with budgeting, it is to him.  Not 'cause of the money - that, and because he cares about me.   (I wouldn't tell him otherwise.)

Edited by FlamelessCandle

I used to skip mdoc appts back when he was writing scripts for antidepressents. I was just too depressed to go. They sent me a letter saying they were going to fire me as a patient the next time I was a no show. After that I started taking them more seriously.