CrazyBoards.org

Sertraline/Zoloft and anxiety

When I was put on it I was having two or three panic attacks a week, once I got up to 100mg I didn't have single attack and I haven't had one since. I don't even take it anymore. So 10/10 from me. No help with my mood but I wasn't on any stabilizers then.

Zoloft has helped/is still helping tremendously for anxiety but does very little if anything for my depression. For anxiety, though, I went from being crippled with anxiety to suffering from mild-moderate anxiety. I never get as bad as I used to be, my panic attacks have moved from happening constantly to very sporadically (and even though they happen sometimes they aren't as intense). Zoloft helped me get through therapy for anxiety disorder issues which was also huge - before I was just too anxious to deal with even thinking of working through it. I'm on 200 mgs currently.  :)

That's very helpful, thanks both. I was also on it once for depression and it made no difference at all. It seems like 50mg is a small dose, but I hope it will suffice for anxiety. I think she is worried about switching me and hence only giving me 50mg. Anyway I will give it time.

Tell me, if anyone knows - will it take as long for the Zoloft to work for anxiety as it does for depression? 4-8 weeks? I sure hope not. The weekend draws to a close and my anxiety is already creeping in for tomorrow. :(

My life? :)

I know I worry excessively about things. I am studying and I worry about failing. I worry about the future and old age. I worry about not having work. I worry about money. I worry about life passing me by. I am thinking of emigrating and I worry madly about how it will go.

I'm worried the medication won't work. Lol. :) Maybe medication is not the answer - I just have to stop worrying, I know. I don't even know if meds will help - I mean the things I worry about are not chemical. Maybe the extent to which I worry is the problem?

My Effexor was stopped 4 months ago and I wonder if that is contributing.

I should add that I don't have panic attacks, well I have only had a few and that was back when I was depressed and the anxiety acted up. It's more of a ruminating anxiety that is lower-grade than panic but enough to make me get knots in my stomach much of the time.

I'm obviously not a medical professional and this is just my opinion but your symptoms sound like you might have GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder). I have this as well and have trouble with not becoming consumed with worries. It's not fun to have to deal with and it may seem like it's just you or not a big deal because the worries are normal, everyday things that everyone is worried about - but to the extent you're worrying and the distress you experience from it is not. 50 mgs of Zoloft seems low for an anxiety disorder to me. Also, CBT helped immensely with my GAD. I'm not sure if you're in therapy or have done a CBT program before.

Edited by radicalfeminist

Thanks so much for your input rf. :) I have wondered about GAD myself. My pdoc didn't diagnose it last time I saw her but maybe it needs to be manifested for longer before she will do that. I think she is nervous about having me switch into a mania from the SSRI, hence the low dose. I am still titrating up, am on 25mg for two more days then up to 50mg. I will give it some time and if it doesn't help after about 6-8 weeks, I will phone her and ask if she won't give me more.

Another thing: She wrote on the prescription to take it in the evening. The night before last I couldn't sleep until around 3.30am  (I got into quite a state and ended up coming to the chat room here to calm down). On a few other nights and last night, I took sleeping tablets so I slept anyway, but I don't like to take sleeping tablets every night - I just end up getting tolerant if I do that and then they don't work anymore and I am both sleepless AND out of the remedy. Anyway, I wondered if I shouldn't switch to taking it in the morning. When do you take it? When do people generally take it? I read on Jerod's wiki page that many people find it activating. 

ETA: Haven't tried CBT. I don't think you can call seeing my psychologist a handful of times a year "therapy", so no I am not currently in therapy. Maybe I should ask him and go a bit more often. (The medical aid gives me only 12 sessions a year.)

Edited by Luna-

My pdoc told me I can take it whenever I want. It causes dizziness and drowsiness in some people and others seem to find it activating like you said. I take mine in the morning with Wellbutrin because I feel like taking them together will stave off Wellbutrin-related anxiety. It probably doesn't make a difference but it makes me feel better. ^_^ Did she recommend you take it with food? Mine didn't, but I recently noticed it says that on the rx label. I'd definitely try taking it in the morning just to see. Sleep interference is definitely not going to help bring down anxiety!

She didn't say, but I think it is absorbed slightly better with food. I got that from Jerod's Wiki page. I always have to take my Geodon with food as the absorption is halved without it, so I just take all my meds with food. I took the Zoloft this morning and don't feel dizzy or sleepy, but then it is only 25mg.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've taken 50 mg Zoloft for the better part of 12 years. (I've never tried a higher dose). 

I think it can be very helpful for anxiety, depending on the type of anxiety you have. If you're more prone to the type of anxiety where things are like a mouse in a wheel in your head (over-focused anxiety), I think it can be effective. 

My sister-in-law once took Zoloft for panic attacks and it killed her panic attacks in their tracks. No more panic attacks. She quit taking it, however, because she said it made her feel "hallow." Whatever that means. 

Zoloft and I have a weird relationship. Sometimes I think it makes me "nervous" or "uncomfortable in my own skin" but at the same time it definitely mellows me out about most things. Kind of a catch-22 for anxiety, in my particular case. That's why I also take 1 mg of Klonopin per day.