CrazyBoards.org

I have trouble taking anything for sleep because by the time I know I'm having trouble sleeping it seems late to be taking them.  And, I usually still wake up during the night.  But, I haven't been sleeping well the past few nights so I took 6mg melatonin right before I went to bed.  My pdoc says it's okay with my meds.

I slept pretty well, woke up briefly once which is really good for me.  But,  all day I've been dragging.  My daughter feared I would fall asleep driving her to school and I went back to bed then drank coffee when I woke up.  It's 3 pm and I'm still sleepy.  The last time I tried taking 3mg melatonin it helped me relax but I didn't stay asleep.

I haven't taken melatonin in a long time, but for me I found them ineffective. It made me maybe a little but more sleepy than usual and didn't last long like hagar said. However, my mother takes melatonin sporadically and whenever she stops and takes it again she's drowsy during the day. It does go away, but she has to get used to it. Hope that helps! For me it seemed to bring about a lot of nightmares but that's nothing new.

You might want to try the time released version. That one seems to work a lot better for the folks in my house that take it. Also, in my experience, more is not necessarily better when it comes to melatonin. If it were me, I'd start with the 3mg and if that didn't work, go up to 5mg. More than 5mg didn't work any better for me. 

If you wake up in the middle of the night and want to take some melatonin, do not take the time released kind.

Melatonin didn't work for me (low dose, I think 1 mg).  It caused extreme drowsiness (I fell asleep but not long enough for it to wear off), forgetfulness, fatigue ... bad enough for me I never want to try it again (I tried a total of 3 separate times, all the same things happening).  It works for a lot of people though.  I hope you find it helpful.

Yeah, I've never seen a dose of melatonin that's the amount you're actually supposed to take.  =x

I honestly prefer really sticking to clean sleep hygiene as much as possible and just living with the sleep disturbances.  But that's a lifestyle I can accommodate right now.  Otherwise it's drugs to get me to sleep, drugs to keep me asleep.   :wall: