CrazyBoards.org

PTSD and Dissociation Spectrum

I have PTSD from severe, lengthy childhood abuses (verbal, physical, sexual, and neglect). I do dissociate in that I have memory holes and just can't "go there". I have no access to any of it. Just the beginning of the terrorizing event and then school the next day, and nothing in between...

I know I need to go through this with my therapist to heal it.

**But with the flashbacks, the sudden fears, crying, and triggering my BP, is there anything for that? My pdoc has had me on Seroquel, Geodon, and Abilify. He seems to be going along the lines of AAs. We're talking about Risperdal, introduced slowly. I've had the experience of being too sedated or having EPS or RLS on AAs, so we're really hesitant about that road.

I'm up to 3mg of Klonopin and off of work for 2 weeks because of my PTSD. The BP hardly bothers me at all anymore except when triggered, it is the PTSD that hasn't subsided.

Any ideas?

I have PTSD from severe, lengthy childhood abuses (verbal, physical, sexual, and neglect). I do dissociate in that I have memory holes and just can't "go there". I have no access to any of it. Just the beginning of the terrorizing event and then school the next day, and nothing in between...

Very typical of PTSD. Dissociation is a type of defense mechanism that your brain uses to keep the memories of the event from overwhelming you.

I know I need to go through this with my therapist to heal it.
It is hard, difficult work but the only way to begin healing is to start working on the traumatic events in therapy. It seems backasswards but the more you talk about the traumas, the less effect they have on you and your life.

I'm up to 3mg of Klonopin and off of work for 2 weeks because of my PTSD. The BP hardly bothers me at all anymore except when triggered, it is the PTSD that hasn't subsided.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The PSTD has that awful effect of triggering mood swings as much as your BP can. As hard as it is, you need to find the strength to start working on the PTSD with your therapist for things to improve.

Just my opinion, but an opinion from experience and work with others.

Erika

I agree with you, as I am off of work for 2 weeks right now due to a PTSD-induced mood flux. My pdoc said my BP was stable and it wasn't that! Finally, my mood is stable from the BP standpoint.

I read on willigocrazy.com (written by the lady who is a BP psychologist) that once you get the BP under control with the mood fluxes, then all these other things come out of the woodwork. Maybe this is actually a sign of progress!!!

Archived