CrazyBoards.org

Do others ever take your paranoia seriously?

I have had to do many "reality checks" with my closest loved ones if I'm "reaching" or not in my thinking over the years. (I choose not to take an anti-psychotic unless I am reallllly needing one). Whenever I have shared any paranoid thoughts (which usually involved being prosecuted by the police for some far fetched thought or minor "crime") with a professional therapist or doctor, their first thought is always that it could be true!

Has anyone noticed that the worst stigma and doubt we get is from the professionals? Thank goodness for my loved ones who don't jump to conclusions about me.

I had a pdoc once that wouldn't take anything seriously if it came out of my mouth.

Though I had a father and uncle who see him and it seems to be quite the opposite for them.

He turned out to just be a male chauvanist bastard and I terminated my case with him wihtout even telling him.  His reaction with my father (who told him I had given up on him) was 'I didn't listen to her? She never talked?'.  If I tried talking all I got was a big 'huh.......well lets up your meds see how you do.'

I now have a pair of tdoc and pdoc that take me seriously.  Now I know this is different from your question, but perhaps you have the wrong doctor?  A doctor that thinks that your fears like that could be true just seems...flakey to me.  Do you have any reason to be in trouble with the law?  Do you tell your pdoc that you break the law frequently, therefore have reason to think this?  If you don't, then wtf is up their butt.  I think saying that would just make you more paranoid.

Now I know this is different from your question, but perhaps you have the wrong doctor?  A doctor that thinks that your fears like that could be true just seems...flakey to me.  Do you have any reason to be in trouble with the law?  Do you tell your pdoc that you break the law frequently, therefore have reason to think this?  If you don't, then wtf is up their butt.  I think saying that would just make you more paranoid.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm talking about my experience over decades of being bipolar. Of having many, many different pdocs and tdocs. They assume that all bipolars get in the trouble with the law. I just have a  paranoia about ending up in jail. I don't break the law frequently. I cheat a little now and then, in normal ways. Not on my taxes but on in other small ways.

You know what they say about assumers: ASSUME = It makes an ass of me (?) Tdocs and pdocs are great assumers. They assume that since I'm paranoid about ending up in jail, then I must have committed a crime. It's not true that, "where's there's smoke, there's fire" when you are talking paranoia.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wow wtf.  so they have always thought these thoughts are present for a reason? o_O  not because it's part of your disease?

Mellow,

You kinda keep crossing your arguments and contradicting yourself.

All a Pdoc can work with is what you tell them.  If you know your legal fears are not true, then you need to state up front to the doc that they aren't true.  That you know it but that you can't stop thinking them.

That is going to present as a totally different problem, than if they are untrue and you can't recognize it, or if you really do have legal problems and are afraid of the police.

Yes, the Pdocs/Tdocs are used to us BP'ers having legal scrapes, it almost comes with the territory. And I believe that you have had a jerk doc before.  But how your present your issues and problems to the docs is up to you.

And yeah, I'm worry too about getting tangled in the legal system, and then they haul me off, and then.......

A.M.

Archived