CrazyBoards.org

Worst Dental Experience Ever!

Ok, Today, I got 6 cavities filled at the dentist. I am new to this dentist. I went there for a cleaning last month and then they told me that I needed some cavities filled in. First off, I have never been so nervous at a dentist. I had no trust. I thought that the dentist was going to do the shot in my mouth the wrong way. He did fine with that. Well, halfway through the procedure, I felt some pain, but I just clenched my jaw on the tooth rest thingy that was in my mouth. It hurt like hell, but I just sat through it. I don't think that they gave me enough novocaine.

When the dentist was done, he dentist told me that there were some cuts on my tongue. I was blank. I didn't know what to say.

They were done in an hour. Well, the numbing eventually wore off. Before my 2nd Dr. appointment today, I went to get some pizza for lunch. I felt something weird on my lip. I found 2 cuts! Then, when I was eating, my tongue was in so much pain that it was really difficult to finish my pizza. Half my mouth is sore, gums included. The dentist didn't tell me about the cuts on my lip, which also stings when I eat. He only told me about the cuts on my tongue. 

I am in so much pain right now. I am really scared to go back to the dentist now! Medicaid pays everything for this dentist, but perhaps I should just go back to my old dentist and pay out of pocket.

Have any of you had a bad dentist experience? If so, have you gone back to the dentist after that? Do you think I should go back to my old dentist?

I am so upset right now. 

Edited by CynicalReality

I've never heard of someone getting cuts on their lips and tongue after getting some fillings until hearing you.  I think for me, financially, I would give the medicaid dentist a second chance (I in no way could afford a dentist out of pocket unless I did a payment plan or something), and if there are any more problems, then I'd consider someone who you pay out of pocket, maybe on a payment plan.

I'm so sorry you had to go through that with your dentist.

I have really bad teeth, and had a really bad dentist growing up.  I have had so many dentists say "I've never had anybody be in pain." and then tell me I'm the first one.  I now go to a dentist that works in the office that I went to in the 1980's, and they still use the same equipment, but I've never had any pain with him, and he had no problem with giving me nitrous oxide when I first started going to him.  Nitrous oxide (laughing gas) doesn't make the pain go away, it just make you really mellow.  I used to squeeze the arms on the chair as hard as I could and at the slightest bit of pain I would jump expecting the worst and then I would get cut.  Nitrous lets me really relax. 

Since I've been going to him for seven years and haven't had one problem, I no longer use the nitrous (It costs $30 to use.)  So I put up with his old equipment.  I also had to have a tooth extracted, and I went to a oral surgeon and I had him put me to sleep.  I costs me an extra $150, but I just can't deal with that pain.

If it were me, I would call your old dentist and find out how much things cost before making a decision.  I don't have insurance, and everything costs so much. SInce I went 45 years with pain every time I went to the dentist (except cleanings, but sometimes even those hurt), it's worth it to me to pay the hundreds of dollars for peace of mind.  However I'm supposed to get an implant where the tooth was extracted and it costs over $4000, so I have to save up.  SSDI is my only income, so I have to save up.  Plus I keep thinking about all the things I could do with that much money, and I''m having a hard time scheduling it.

Is there another dentist that will be covered by medicaid that you can go to?  If not, I would just save up and go with the old dentist. I have never heard of anyone having cuts on their lips and tongue from getting fillings.  That is really weird and unsettling. 

I only receive ssi, so out of pocket would be really expensive for me. I will call my old dentist and figure out the costs. If it is too expensive, then I wil never go back to the dentist unless I have a horrible tooth ache or something. I will also try to see if there is a different dentist that I can see. Thank you for all the suggestions and support :)

My mother has this saying - "the hungry dentist."  A red flag is when you visit a new dentist and they find multiple cavities that need to be filled.  Get a second opinion!  I'm lucky in that I've been with the same dentist for 26 years and trust him completely. When he retires and I have to find a new dentist - if that new dentist comes up with 6 cavities,  well, I know right away - "hungry dentist" - get the hell out of there!!!

That said, post-dental pain/discomfort for a couple of days after a procedure isn't unusual. They've done great violence in there - it takes some time to heal.  Now - cuts on the tongue and lips - that I would assume is bad technique.

Yeah I had a bad experience when I was 17, and I had to get some fillings done. Initially, the dentist told me that I needed a root canal. I was ok with this. But the day of the root canal, he decides that he thinks he can just fill it like normal, and it will be okay. So he does this. He cuts my gum a little bit, and I bleed. He accidentally puntures the plastic barrier on my mouth. Idk how to explain it. but it's to stop things from going down my throat. He ends up having to give me 4 additional shots to numb my mouth. And to end it all, within TWO DAYS, I was back in his office for the root canal because he had not removed all the cavity, he trapped bacteria inside, and I ended up with an infected tooth. It was extremely painful. I went to the doctor for it first, because the dental office refused to schedule me any sooner. The doctor gave me some pain pills to help me through until my appointment. D:

I went to the dentist yesterday. I drove 50 miles. I am having problems with my wisdom teeth and I've been told by multiple dentists that they need to be removed. I previously didn't have insurance. Now I do. They've caused me pain for years but now they are coming through more, and they are partially impacted. My mouth is getting overcrowded. The more they come in, the more my teeth will be affected. This is what the dentist told me. And that if I didn't get them out, I might need braces later on. I've always had perfectly straight teeth that is NOT fair. But in the fall, they referred me to have them removed, and I got denied by insurance. I informed the dentist of this yesterday. I also said that the tooth pain has been worse, and I haven't been able to eat much for days. She did not look in my mouth. She did not ask me any questions. She simply told me that "Your insurance should cover it. Most do. That's weird. Just call again and set up an appointment." I tried to explain to her that they told me I'd need to pay out of pocket, and that isn't an option. She insisted that it should be covered, just not the anesthesia. And she told me that I could just have them out without the anesthesia. I was a bit upset that she didn't even examine me. I was upset that she didn't even bother to find the cracked filling I have. Some people are just such shitty workers and don't do anything thoroughly. So I got to my car, and I called the oral surgeons office to set up an appointment, reluctantly. I even started with, "I think I was already denied, but..." And yes, it's true, she confirmed that I was denied coverage of the extraction, yet they would pay for anesthesia. The exact opposite of what the dentist just told me would happen...

I didn't know what else to do. I had just gotten off work at 7am. Only to stay up until 1230pm so I could go to the appointment. And then not get home until 2, and not be able to fall asleep until 3, when I had to wake up at 5, so I could be at work by 6. Then work 6pm-7am....I am dead.I did phone the clinic I went to right after my conversation with the oral surgeons place. They told me that some lady would be in on Monday who might be able to figure it out and help me. They want me to go to another facility of the same name, like 3 hours away. The RN I worked with last night thinks that minnesotacare made a mistake, because it usually is the other way around, like my dentist said. And he's never heard of that. I don't know what to believe. I have my fingers crossed that monday will bring good news. I've been waiting to get these out for 4 and a half years now. D:

my mom had a dead tooth that needed extraction and the dentist refused to do it without doing an implant. There was no way she could afford this and she was okay with missing a tooth. He claimed it would mess up her whole mouth and make her teeth crooked. They got into a big argument and he walked out. The receptionist felt so bad, she helped my mom get a refferal to an oral surgeon who would extract it and leave it no problem. 11 years later, and her mouth has not been otherwise affected. I think some dentists really are just "hungry"

edit: the tooth was a molar in the back and does not affect the cosmetic appeal of her smile or anything

Edited by EelAmme

When I had mine removed, the only way the insurance would cover it is if the DR specifically stated (wherever they do) that they were impacted and needed to be removed.  Any other reason they would deny them (I don't remember how I found this out; just that when I asked the dentist said impaction would be covered).  Along with general anesthesia.  I had them removed under general anesthesia no problem. 

Maybe your insurance has different policies?

I have hated almost every single dentist I've ever been to. I have a problem with oral hygeine, and most of them made me feel guilty, or like a terrible person for not flossing, etc... And those were the ones who I had to see the most to get wisdom teeth removed, fillings, etc... 

Now I managed randomly to find a really great dentist, who didn't even ask me about my oral hygeine. I went in because I thought I had a broken wisdom tooth (I had 2 pulled, and 2 left) and he said it was decayed and black, and asked if I wanted to pull it that same day, which I said yes, and so they novacaned  me up and pulled the tooth.. it took like 20 seconds and was done. He was nice and friendly and kind of funny, his staff was nice, the office was clean, I was very surprised to have found that. 

Which reminds me, I need to make an appointment for a cleaning... 

Anyway I'd find a new dentist if you are uncomfortable at the one your'e at now. 

I had my wisdom teeth taken out when I was 21 or 22 (this was 4-5 years ago).

I got there, and the dentist (a man so old that he hummed involuntarily) told me I was the perfect age that he liked his girlfriends to be. Then, he proceeded to pull out a SHIT ton of twenty dollar bills that were rolled up in a ball and pulled together with rubber bands, threw it in the air, laughed and put it back in his pocket. He continuously bragged about his house cars, etc. I wish that this was the worst of it, ugh.

Anyway, onto the procedure. He wouldn't put me under. Had to give me at least seven if not more shots of local (which in itself fucking sucks) before I felt like he could continue. I should have known that since that last shot still sucked, I needed more. Oh well.

He spent the next 35 minutes or so just hammering away at that tooth and my jaw. I don't even think I cried that much during childbirth. I mean, I'm pretty tough with the pain, but this was terrible. I could feel it very, very well. It was absolutely horrible (not saying it was worse than childbirth, but at least in that scenario I got an awesome reward at the end. Fuck the new toothbrush)

FINALLY he was done and I got out of the chair. My back was COVERED in sweat, and I generally don't even sweat either. I was shocked. I mean, yeah, gross. And I was shaking more than he was the entire time, which is saying a lot.

The pain after was nothing compared to the experience in that damn chair. I was so freaked out that I popped two of the vicodins that they prescribed me and I usually wouldn't do a thing like that either. But it did help. I wasn't on meds at the time or anything, so yeah.

His office is still open. We live right by it but there's no way in HELL I would go back there. I only went because I was told by a reliable source that this dentist was one of two in my town that take medicaid. I chose him because he was close. But it was weird.

I would take it back to this day. I hate thinking about it. I shuddered a few times writing this.

Good news is that I looked recently and there are over 100 dental care providers that take medicaid in our city, so I'm not going to have to worry about me or my kid ever going to that douchebag again.

Sorry about yours. I wouldn't go back. I'd probably pay out of pocket myself, if I could afford it. That shit's not cool. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Every dentist I've ever went to has always told me to stop them if I'm having pain and they will numb me up some more and I have.  About the pulling teeth problem mentioned above. If the molar was one in the very back then I don't see why he gave her a hard time about pulling it and not getting an implant. A molar that happens to be the back tooth probably wouldn't be a problem. But yes, dentists are usually very hesitant about pulling teeth without putting in an implant or a bridge. He wasn't lying about the missing tooth causing problems. The teeth adjacent to that missing tooth are compromised. Teeth can start to shift and the part of the jaw that the pulled tooth was in will start to erode.  You know if I'm like middle aged or older I can see just saying to yank the sucker and leave it be. But if you are young and already getting teeth yanked without replacing them you are setting yourself up for problems in the future.

Edited by quiet storm

• 3 months later...